Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wednesday 25.9: Back squats and burpees

Wednesday. Back squats 3x10 (100kg). Metcon, 50 burpees, 4min rest, 40 burpees, 3min rest, 30 burpees, 2min rest, 20 burpees, 1min rest, 10 burpees. Time 16.55.

Back squats, got to keep them on schedule. Just squatted 3 days ago, so it was about time to go again =) Plus a lot of burpees! 150 burpees for time with pre-determined rest periods in between. After those burpees I was done. Once I got home, we went for recovery walk in the woods with my dearest one. It was a beautiful autumn weather.




Strength. Back squats 3x10 reps (100kg). Wanted to program the squats in a different way and decided to hit longer sets with semi-heavy weights. 3 sets of 10 reps on each set. I kept the barbell @ 100kg each time. This was a good variation and the kilos were perfect for me this time. Each of the set went in a similar way. I did 6 reps without stopping and then after a short pause, couple of inhales, completed 2 more reps, another inhale, then finish the set.

The 100kg weight for me is such that it feels heavy after a few reps but it's still doable. It's somewhat a mental game how many reps I could do with this bar. Those last reps today were tough. I'll try to squeeze in different types of strength training sessions with my back squats. Shorter and longer rep sets, emom training, eccentric squats, pause squats…


10 back squats, 100kg


Metcon. Time 16.55

  • 50 burpees
  • 4min rest
  • 40 burpees
  • 3min rest
  • 30 burpees
  • 2min rest
  • 20 burpees
  • 1min rest
  • 10 burpees

Whaaaat?!? 150 burpees, uuh mama… Why did I ever write this down on my calendar? Well, seriously, it was freaking awesome! Descending amount of burpees with decreasing amount of rest between action. The idea was to go all in on every work period because there was rest period waiting around the corner. Total time was 16.55, that time included the rest (10 minutes) as well so the total work time for 150 burpees was 6.55min.

Was able to push forward on every set without breaks. On the set of 50 reps my pace slowed in the last 10-15 reps and breathing got heavier and heavier. 4 minutes rest was enough to get going for the next round. The first 25 reps were fine after which it started to get on my chest and triceps. Was able to keep moving still and felt horrible after those 90 burpees were finally done.






Took a 3min rest and I needed those to prepare for the upcoming 30 reps. At 15 reps the muscle pain came back that I just witnessed last round. Those burpees started to wear down my muscle endurance on the set of 40 reps. I was done after the 30 rep set! Kept on walking around the gym to recover faster.

Last 2 sets were "easier" as the end was looming and I felt it's entirely a psychological issue at this stage of the metcon. There were 120 reps done and only 30 to go. Was able to move unbroken through all sets, 20's slowed me down after 10-12 reps but on the last round I got them done fiercely.

Doing this many burpees in one metcon was freakish. I'm glad I did it. Burpee is an excellent movement, I must say, to increase metabolic conditioning and overall strength. Once you do enough of them, they start to fatigue the muscles as well. And not only in one part of the body but throughout: legs, chest and arms.








No comments:

Post a Comment