Saturday, June 1, 2013

Saturday 1.6: Sprints

Saturday. 4x400m, 90sec rest. 4x100m.

Those back squats yesterday made my hamstrings sore, and that's the way I like it! I still wanted to get some leg work done today as I had scheduled running for work today. We were planning to run sprints together with Toni and then some farmer's walk pair metcon but unfortunately we couldn't match the time tables together. My lither sister is having her graduation party today so I had to do my training in the early morning.



400m sprints. Time about 10.10.

  • Run 4 x 400m
  • 90 sec rest between sets

I took some warm-ups running and a few semi-fast sprints to get my legs opened from the jam the squats had created. And also some hip openers to seal the deal. 400 meters is a long way when you're running to the fullest. I have no idea what my fastest lap would be if that was the only goal I had in the training and gave my all in that specific 400m sprint. Today I ran those 4 rounds at 1.22-1.24 on average.

You can't copy that feeling of wearing down when you compare running with other type of metcons. The feeling when you're about to get tired is sick in both cases but it's still totally different. Legs are burning and lungs are having a tough time. Kind of the same but still different. Hard to describe the difference. When running, most of the work is done through legs but in metcons you're doing more all-around work with the body.

I'm very happy I was able to get up from that bed early in the weekend to complete this workout. I'd like to keep running on agenda somehow on a weekly basis, hopefully I can carry it out through the summer.

Pirkkola track and field early in the morning

100m sprints.

  • Run 4 x 100m
  • Walk back for recovery

After catching my breath I did 4 sprints of 100 meters with recovery of walking slowly back to the start line. I felt quick on these ones! And especially after the 400 meters as the nature of the sprint is different. In 400 you got to take into consideration that it's gonna take something between 1.10-1.30, is it possible to go all-in from the first meters? Hard to believe, you got to have a strategy to reach the best time possible. And do that multiple times, and the game changes even more to get the best possible total time.

In 100m it's simply 100% from the first step, close your eyes, think about beautiful things and be mentally strong, it's anyway gonna be over in seconds so why not accelerate to the fullest from the first second! These sprints felt good all the way.

Last summer I did 8x400 with 90sec recovery once or twice. This was a good start for running sprints. Definitely didn't want to start with huge load so this was way better amount of meters to be run in the early summer. And even though there was only 2.000m in the digits as I stopped running I felt the burden instantly in my shins. These short sprints really makes my legs hurt. Had to give them cold treatment in the shower to get the fluids flowing. Hopefully it eases with more running =)

Don's family: The grand old man and his Susanna, all three bros and graduating sister

Toni's workout. Result 8 rounds

  • 16min amrap of:
  • 15 box (40cm)
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 snatches (20kg)


Muffi and a new tractor wheel

No comments:

Post a Comment