Saturday, August 19, 2017

August

Tuesday 1.8

AM

Gymnastics.
  • Handstand push-ups
  • 4 big sets
  • Result, 20-20-17-17 reps
Tried couple of bigger sets of hspu's to get some perception where I am at the moment with this move. This piece went well and I got pretty good numbers. I think my record is currently at 25 reps so doing two sets 20 and all four sets close to that is okay for me.





Intervals.
  • 4 sets of:
  • 25 wall ball shots
  • 10 burpees
  • Rest as needed between sets
Idea was to get heavy breathing and burn in my body. There was also quite a good set of wall balls to start the set so I went unbroken on them and then a bunch of burpees to finish them.



PM

Skills.
  • Double unders 5x50 reps
It's been a long time. Dragged the gym mat to the drive way to get more stabile ground. It was way different than jumping on rocks or grass. These were alright, especially considering the lack of the movement in the past months.



Gymnastics.
  • Holds
  • Parallettes work
  • Play time
Played around with different kind of stuff. I have small parallettes which I fooled around with. Did also some breakdance kind of moves. One interesting thing was piling plates on top of each other to gain height. Starting position was on the floor on my knees. Practicing jumping from there and landing on a good squat position, focus on explosiveness.



Wednesday 2.8

Intervals.
  • 3min on, 3min off, for 24min (4 total sets)
  • Alternate between A and B
A)
  • Run up and down the street
  • 5 clean and jerk @ 50kg
  • Rest of time: burpees
  • Result, 18 + 15 burpees

B)
  • Run up and down the street
  • Rest of time: wall ball shots
  • Result, 35 + 35 wall balls
This was quite horrible. Going all in with the runs, and the rest of the movements too. Ran a lot faster than in any normal metcons. Running this kind of short sprints are horrible to me. Antti was there to share the pain. That helped mentally.



Friday 4.8

For quality.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 unbroken touch'n'go power cleans @ 70kg
  • Run 600m
Barbell cycling stuff. Useful sets I would say. Barbell was a little heavier, I would think there is 60kg on the bar but I'm very glad I upgraded that to 70kg. Got them unbroken

Gymnastics.
  • 3x20 unbroken sets of toes-to-bar
Very pleased on this one as t2b's are no joke doing a big set. Having them in smaller portions suits me well but bigger unbroken sets are rough




Saturday 5.8

Oly.
  • Every minute on the minute x 15 minutes
  • 3 push jerk @ 75kg

Very happy on this one. Felt surprisingly easy. Okay, that's not the right word but I thought they would feel tougher. Originally it was supposed to be 10-12 minutes but I upgraded it to 15 minutes on the fly.



Workout.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 400m row
  • 15 push jerk @ 45kg (must be done unbroken)
Very good indeed. I decided beforehand that these sets gotta be done without bringing it down in the middle. Then it's up to me how much I need to recover after the row. It was good intensity. I was able to put my hands on the barbell quickly after the row.



Sunday 6.8

Oly.
  • Every 0:30, for 10 minutes (20 reps)
  • 1 squat clean @ 90kg
Used to do quite a lot of this kind of stuff with barbell. This was nice stuff



Strength.
  • Every minute on the minute x 10 minutes
  • 3 front squat @ 100kg

Felt great to finally squat. Low parts of my quads have been killing me, just above the knee, and I haven't found the tools to correct that. Until lately, I've realized it's probably just super tight so I've been mobilizing those areas a lot. I mean, a lot.

Workout. Time, 14.57
  • 20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 of:
  • Handstand push-ups
  • Box jump overs (can't touch the box)
Super good one. I got big volume on the handstand push-ups, and they rolled very well. Got a total of 110 reps of them, which is huge for me. I have a Rogue bench. My box overs mean that I jump right over the bench without touching the bench at all. That's because it's lower than a regular box. This style makes me jump as high as I would normally in box jumps.



Monday 7.8

Strength.
  • Bench press 5x8 @ 70kg
Vow, bench press? Yes, I figured to give it some time. Definitely not my favorite stuff, but I guess man has to do that occasionally. Bigger sets, 8 reps @ 70kg every set.



Oly.
  • Every minute on the minute x 18 minutes
  • Clean and jerks
  • 1-4min: 5 reps @ 60kg
  • 5-8min: 3 reps @ 70kg
  • 9-12min: 1 rep @ 80kg
  • 13min: 1 rep @ 83kg
  • 14min: 1 rep @ 85kg
  • 15min: 1 rep @ 88kg
  • 16min: 1 rep @ 90kg
  • 17min: 1 rep @ 92kg
  • 18min: 1 rep @ 94kg
Success!Plan was to do 5@60kg, 3@ 70kg, 1@ 80kg. But then again after the workout was kind of over, I decided to keep adding some weight on the barbell, about 2kg per lift. Super cool to go over 90kg. Haven't even tried that in a while.


Workout. Time, 18.41
  • 40 kettlebell swings @ 32kg
  • 1.000m row
  • 32 kettlebell swings @ 32kg
  • 800m row
  • 24 kettlebell swings @ 32kg
  • 600m row
  • 16 kettlebell swings @ 32kg
  • 400m row
  • 8 kettlebell swings @ 32kg
  • 200m row
What a workout! Very useful. Posterior chain got some good pressure. Plus lungs of course were on a test. They held super good. Time on the rower was fast. Hmm, was it somewhere around 1:40 - 1:45 per 500m. That's my best wild guess.





Tuesday 8.8

Don's Games. Total of 3 workout sessions, total of 6 workouts. Started the day at Crossfit Kehä with Toni, continued it at Stadi Crossfit by myself, and finished the session at Pirkkola outdoor training center with my brother and his daughter.





Crossfit Kehä

The following stuff took us exactly 50 minutes to finish, including rest periods.

Intervals.
  • 5 intervals each
  • 10 cal skierg
  • 9 burpees
  • 8 toes-to-bar
Rest 5 min, then

Barbell cycling.
  • 18 clean and jerk @ 60kg
  • 16 clean and jerk @ 70kg
  • 14 clean and jerk @ 80kg
  • 12 clean and jerk @ 90kg
Rest 5 min, then

Chipper.
  • 50 pull-ups
  • 50 shoulder-to-overhead @ 60kg
  • 50 pull-ups
  • 50 handstand push-ups
  • 50 pull-ups
  • 50 power cleans @ 60kg
  • 50 medball cleans @ 40kg

Crossfit Kehä workouts



Stadi Crossfit

Workout. Time, 29.42
  • 10 rope climb
  • 50 ghd sit-ups
  • 50 box jumps
  • 8 rope climb
  • 40 ghd sit-ups
  • 40 box jumps
  • 6 rope climb
  • 30 ghd sit-ups
  • 30 box jumps
  • 4 rope climb
  • 20 ghd sit-ups
  • 20 box jumps
  • 2 rope climb
  • 10 ghd sit-ups
  • 10 box jumps








Pirkkola.


Intervals.
  • 3min on, 3min off, for 24min (4 total sets)
  • Alternate between A and B
A)
  • Run the track, 400m
  • Rest of time: dumbbell snatch @ 25kg
  • Result, 28 reps + 26 reps

B)
  • Run the track, 400m
  • Rest of time: high box jumps
  • Result, 25 + 25 high box jumps

Pair workout.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • Run in the woods (ca. 300m)
  • 40 handstand push-ups (against a tree)
  • 40 pull-ups







Wednesday 9.8

Active recovery.
  • Row 5k
Just get the fluids running in my body. Only focus on that.


Thursday 10.8

Gymnastics.

  • 7x4 chest-to-bar pull-ups
This is some of progression towards better mastering c2b's. Toni has used same kind of progression successfully with his clients.

Pair workout.


  • You go, I go. One athlete completes one round, then change
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 15 kettlebell swings @ 32kg
  • 15 kettlebell snatches @ 32kg
  • 15 goblet squats @ 32kg
Easier day. Still recovering from Tuesday's big volume. C2b's, finding rhythm. Workout was quick, completed with Antti.




Friday 11.8

AM

Push / Pull.

  • Every minute on the minute x 10 minutes
  • Odd min, 5 deadlift @ 140kg
  • Even min, 13 handstand push-ups
Nasty combo. At the end of the workout, I did those missing hapsu's that reminded myscle foo 

Conditioning. Result, 10 rounds + 15 cal row
  • Amrap 20 minutes
  • 15 cal row
  • 15 wall ball shots






PM



Strength.


  • Every minute on the minute x 10 minutes
  • 3 back squat @ 110kg

Oly.

  • Overhead squats
  • 10 reps @ 40, 50, 60, 50, 40kg

Focusing on mobility



Accessory.


  • Good morning 5x10 @ 70kg
I felt these the following couple of days.



Saturday 12.8

Sprint. Time, 3.19 (PR). Compare to 25.11.2012

  • 1k row
Awful. Simply disgusting. Average pace on the row was 1:39/500m. That's fast for me.

Overhead.


  • Push press 5x10 @ 68kg
I've did these 5x10 rep schemes couple of times now, increasing weights. Guess I got to drop down the number of sets next maybe because this barbell is getting really heavy on the last reps / sets.



Gymnastics.


  • Bar muscle-ups 4x5 reps




Sunday 13.8

Pure rest day. Wedding yesterday made me go to sleep somewhere past 3am. Slept late (till 9.45). Still, the energy was not present so I decided to do other stuff. It's the last day of my summer holiday, back to grind tomorrow at work. Probably the double sessions are now over for a while. Unless I catch a good sleeping rhythm and go train early in the morning and another session in the evening. We'll see




Monday 14.8

Gymnastics.

  • Every minute on the minute x 8 minutes
  • 5 chest-to-bar pull-ups

Easy but I've had so long break on the chest-to-bar's that I find it difficult to find the rhythm. That's why I'm working towards better movement on this one.


Amrap 20. Result, 6 rounds

  • Run up and down the street
  • 3 bar muscle-ups
  • 12 (6/6) dumbbell snatch @ 25kg
Nicely combined some skills and basic conditioning pieces.




Tuesday 15.8


Gymnastics.

  • 6x15 pull-ups



Workout.


  • Every minute on the minute x 28 minutes
  • 1st min: 12 burpees
  • 2nd min: 12 cal row
  • 3rd min: 12 toes-to-bar's
  • 4th min: 12 kettlebell swings @ 32kg
Surprisingly nasty



Wednesday 16.8

Skills.
  • Double unders
Just jumped around with Pauliina, honed our skills

Barbell cycling.
  • 5 unbroken barbell sets, rest as needed between sets
  • 12 deadlift
  • 9 hang power clean
  • 6 push jerk
  • Barbell @ 60kg
Lots of reps per set. Went unbroken on each set, that was the point of all this.



Accessory.
  • Hamstrings
Pauliina came up with something innovative hamstring murderer so I did those with her as my accessory work after the workout.



Thursday 17.8

Oly.


  • Snatch
Had high hopes over this portion but to be honest, it sucked big time. Didn't have a clear plan of what to do so that backfired and got nothing good results from this one.



Pair wod / Chipper.
  • 75 thrusters @ 40kg
  • 75 burpees
  • 75 overhead squats @ 40kg
  • 150 push-ups
  • One athlete rows 250m, then change. The other one does the chipper
We did this with my pal Antti in the evening. The other one rowed all the time, and the other one was doing the chipper from thrusters on. Antti semi-died after the overhead squats so I did the last set by myself, the push-ups. This burned legs big time. I'm very happy on the performance anyway.


Friday 18.8

Oly.
  • Every 0:30, for 10 minutes
  • 1 power clean @ 85kg
85kg power clean is not light for me. Power cleans have actually never been that strong for me anyway. I have trained so that I'll do heavier cleans as squat cleans normally. This was a good workout and load for me.




Workout. Time, 22.24
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1.000m run
  • 30 shoulder-to-overhead @ 50kg
This was a blast. A bit longer run distance than normally in metcons. Usually it's something like 400m so going for 1k was obviously different. I paced myself on the run, didn't gas out but didn't go jogging either. Had good conscious after every kilometer. That's the portion where I could possibly cut some time off if anywhere in this workout.

S2o's were push jerks for me. Having 50kg on the bar for this kind of high-rep workout was first time for me. It's been lighter normally (40kg) but I had a good feeling I'm gonna play this out nicely. Went pretty much 15-10-5 on every set. Tried to grab the bar pretty soon after the first run. Then took a break and knocked a set of about 10 reps, small break and finish the set.



Saturday 19.8

AM: Home

Pulls.
  • Deadlift triples (140, 150, 160, 170, 180kg)
Great to pull something heavier from the ground. I find these were quite solid reps and sets all the way. No matter the weight. Very satisfied.

160kg


180kg



Workout. Time, 8.50
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 deadlift @ 110kg
  • 400m row
Unbroken deadlift sets and rowing was somewhere around 1:50 pace. Good breather!

Accessory.
  • 10x10 lunges (stationary) @ 60kg
Burned more of those glutes and lower body in general.


PM: Home

Strength.
  • Every minute on the minute x 10 minutes
  • 5 front squat @ 90kg
Started with 110kg for doubles and singles but then stopped and realized I haven't squatted a lot lately. So it was more useful to start again, put less weight on the bar and do more reps.

Gymnastics.
  • Max effort toes-to-bar's
  • Result, 30 reps (PR)
To be honest, I had no idea what to do when I jumped on the pull-up bar. Just started doing reps, and then at some point I thought what the heck, let's do one big set of t2b's. It turned out to be a PR set.



No comments:

Post a Comment