Friday, October 25, 2013

Friday 25.10: Back squats, metcon

Friday. Back squats 5-5-5-5-5 (max 130kg). Metcon, 8min amrap of: 24 air squats, 8/8 db snatch (20kg), 8 deads (100kg). Result. 4 rounds.

Time to squat! I'm on the right path to love this movement. Every time I'm waiting eagerly to enter the gym when I know there are squats waiting for me. Today it was back squat's turn. Haven't done traditional 3's or 5's in a very long time so last week sets of triples saw the daylight and today it was time to see at what level the sets of 5's are. Completed an 8 min amrap to finish the training.




Strength. Back squats 5-5-5-5-5 (100, 110, 120, 125, 130kg). God damned it was a good session!!! That's definitely a PR in squat 5's. Mainly I keep a record of the one rep maxes only but this is something that I remember 100% clearly that never have a set of 5 reps been lifted @ 130kg. In the warm-up the bar didn't feel so light that these weights would be foreseen easily.

I started piling some plates on the bar and finishing the sets. First set, easy, second one as easy. At 120kg I felt the burden, still not bad. Might have done the reps something like 3 reps at first, then catching some breath and completing the last 2 reps. At 125kg I did 2 reps, paused at top, completed 2 more reps, last catch of breath and then the last one.


5 x 130kg


Had only one option: add more weight! Took the first 2 reps in a row, then I stopped after each rep at the top position. After the first 2 reps I promised to myself I'm gonna take the last reps up as well. Before the last rep it was heavy but it didn't matter. At this stage my head was in the game and the only option was to go down and right back up. The result was awesome for me. Last week I took a triple @ 135kg and today 5 x 130kg. Take into consideration my current 1RM is 140kg. Enforcing more squat training lately seems to be paying off pretty well =)



Metcon. Result 4 rounds

  • 8min amrap of:
  • 24 air squats
  • 8/8 dumbbell snatch, 20kg
  • 8 deadlift, 100kg

Magic number was 8. Amrap of bodyweight squats, 1 arm dumbbell snatches (8 right + 8 left), finishing the round with deadlifts. Each movement made breathing go heavy but the thing hindered me from going faster was the feeling in my legs. All movements had an impact on my lower body. Probably all those squat sets prior to the metcon had their effect as well.





Air squats are a good way to burn legs, even without any extra weight on your back. Combine snatches and your heart rate bounces up. Add deadlifts to the mix and your legs are done. Completed 4 rounds of these movements for 96 squats, 64 snatches and 32 deadlifts. Good quick workout!




No comments:

Post a Comment