Thursday, October 17, 2013

Thursday 17.10: snatches, row, hspu, burpee

Thursday. Technique, 8x3 hang squat snatch. Metcon, 8 rounds of: 250m row, 5 hspu, 10 burpees.

Main focus was on the metcon. Had written nothing else but this one on my calendar for this Thursday but during the day I reminded myself of the promise I did to myself 1-2 months ago. That time I put squat snatches on hold and vowed to come back when I receive olympic lifting shoes. The time is now and it's time to start working on that technique!


Hannu warming up for back squats


Technique.

  • Hang squat snatch 8 x 3 (all sets @ 40kg)

My previous shoes didn't give any support on my squat snatch form. Same with any squat form. I have had some mobility issues with overhead squats and squat snatches but I realized today that once those joints are properly warmed up there are no problems whatsoever in moving my hips to any possible position.

The weight itself was light. I kept 40kg on the barbell each set. The purpose of the workout was to get familiar once again on the movement, get some confidence in going under the bar and finding comfort in squat snatch. I will squat snatch more in the future. Got 2 focus areas now: improving my squat strength / technique and squat snatch technique.

Did some overhead squats prior to the squat snatches and I found a good stance and stabile form. In the squat snatches tended to lean forward for some reason, then I moved my butt to correct position before standing up again.





Metcon.

  • 8 rounds of:
  • 250m row
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 burpees

Had intentions of doing a 15min amrap but my timer was not working at all. That was weird but I had no clock at all to time the workout. That kind of sucked but I decided to hit it a long one, 8 rounds of the row + hspu + burpee combo. Kept the pace on the rowing at around 1.40-1.45, it was a short sprint so it was doable to go fast. Got the handstand push-ups and burpees unbroken each set. I was surprised how well I was able to move through the workout. Didn't have to break and catch a breath even though these movements should have made a man gasp for air.

I'm keeping hspu's in the schedule 1-2 a week to improve on my strength / skill level. I got them to a level where I can do tens of them in a metcon and I'm super happy about that. Then again, burpees and rowing are perfect ways to increase metabolic conditioning. Always good tools =)



No comments:

Post a Comment