Friday, August 1, 2014

Friday 1.8: Pirkkola outdoor training

Friday. Skills, bar muscle-ups (20 reps). Metcon, 3rds of: 20 pull-ups, 20 wb, 350m run. Time 11.45.

Had an idea to go outdoors to work on my bar muscle-ups. It stuck to my head and I couldn't fight it away, not that I wanted to. Bar muscle-ups are something I enjoy doing a lot! Too rarely do I "find time" to look for a good place for training this skill. Of course I would find time but there's so much other things to be practiced all the time. After bar muscle-ups I took a metcon which turned out to be ideal for this place. Cool Friday night for me =)



Skills.

  • Bar muscle-ups, 20 reps for technique
I had in mind to shoot for a nearby pull-up bar in the woods but then again I had plenty of time for myself because Pauliina was hanging out at a friend's place for the evening. Why not head to Pirkkola for perfect training possibilities? Grabbed my wall ball to the backseat of the car and drove to this great outdoor sports center.



It was awesome to go for muscle-ups on the pull-up bar. We have a good pull-up bar at the gym but for mu's it's too close to the wall, at least for me and my technique. As you see form the video clip my feet need some space in front of me just before the pull.


It's been a while since last knocking out some bar muscle-ups. Okay, yesterday I did one because one friend asked how they are done but before that I don't remember when I last did them. Probably when I was working out with my brother in Arabianranta someday in the summer.

It wasn't easy to remind my body how to have perfect technique on them. There was that old school twisting in most of the reps. Let's say there was some sort of biased landing on top of the bar but in some reps it was smaller than in others. I really tried to focus on just pulling as high as possible and landing beautifully up there but it wasn't that easy. The reps felt light, very light indeed, but there were some technical issues. Actually, I don't know if bar muscle-ups have ever felt that easy: Felt great about that!

Recap

Metcon. Time 11.45

  • 3 rounds of:
  • 20 pull-ups
  • 20 wall ball shots, 9kg
  • 350m run

In HC Triplet IV: Kettlebell Fiesta we used wall ball for the first time in Pirkkola. I remembered this same spot there, a cross beam with a height of 3.05 and over. So that's ideal for wall ball shots. The pull-up bars are also perfect for mu's and pull-ups. In addition there's a loop in the woods which is something like 350-400m run. I've measured it once for precisely 400m but when I run there it feels a bit shorter than running 400m on a track.


I wrote this workout in a bit different style so that there's high rep sets of both pull-ups and wall balls. Shooting for 20 pull-ups is not something I just rock on and continue working just like that. It feels bad in the end of the set. But the great news is that I got them done unbroken on every round! Felt like a success.


The second movement - wall ball - is one of my favorites. It didn't need a lot of reps in the beginning to find out this is my thing. I believe there's some sort of strength I have on this movement. On this beam it was easy to realized which throws are reps and which are no reps. Had couple of misses - probably about 4 in total - but mostly I hit the target exactly where I needed to.


Because my right calf went to a cramp about 2 weeks ago I've been scared to give a lot of hit to that leg. Running has been off limits for that purpose too. So have been also double unders and box jumps. Today as I jumped on the pull-up bar on the muscle-ups for the first time it hurt there again. That kind of sucked so that's the reason I dragged a bench right next to the rig so I could climb up there.


But anyway running felt good and totally without pain! That was a winner feeling. The first round felt easy and light. It was like my feet were like feathers and didn't weigh pretty much at all. On the second and third round the feeling was from another planet because of my upper body was smashed from pull-ups and wall balls. Legs felt fine still but the upper body stiffness was huge and bothered my running too. The pace was probably world class level but I kept myself moving anyway.

The training day was a good variance and I enjoyed it a lot! It was cool to get those muscle-ups in my system and work on the wall ball mixed up with pull-ups and running. Great stuff!



No comments:

Post a Comment