Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wednesday 27.8: Weighted ring dips, Du's and T2b's

Wednesday. Strength, weighted ring dips 5-5-5-5-5 (max 30kg). Metcon, 100-80-60-40-20 du's, 30-25-20-15-10 tb2's. Time 11.45

Decided to work mostly on bodyweight movements this Wednesday morning. However, it seemed like a good idea to get some ring dips for strength as well. It's been ages since I did them last time and it simply felt great to knock couple of sets. The metcon of the day was something I stole from Pat Sherwood who in turn took it from the champ himself, Rich Froning Jr. It was as good as I had thought it might be.

Next level snack late at work. Classic smoothie, yammy!

Strength.
  • Weighted ring dips 5-5-5-5-5 (10, 15, 20, 25, 30kg)
It was a big mystery how much weight could be put on the belt. I remember having done them with 15kg weights in the past. Had no idea I could push it this far. My last set was at 30kg. The sets were all 5's, starting from 10kg and coming up in 5kg jumps. Had I known 30kg was my max load I could have tried to do all sets at around 20kg.

This was a great exercise and probably something I should do more often. It can directly be transferred to ring skills and shoulder strength. Once I started loading the plates on the weight belt each set felt like I have to do work and concentrate well to get the reps done. Still, it always felt like there's room to add some weight so I did just that. And ended up with 5x30kg set.




Metcon. Time 11.45
  • 100-80-60-40-20 double unders
  • 30-25-20-15-10 toes-to-bar
When done Pat Sherwood / Rich Froning style, the reps were a little higher. Total of 450 du's and 150 t2b's, that's a lot! Got to say Pat brings up perfect workouts in his IG pace. You could pick up awesome workouts on a daily basis just by following him. I scaled this one to 300 double unders and 100 toes-to-bar. Figured there's more sense considering my fitness. It's a bit different thing when the fittest of the fittest do their workouts.

On the first du set - 100 - it was a little insecure action, had to take couple of sets and there were also some misses involved. Wasn't that happy with my performance. It actually wasn't that bad but I hoped to finish it better. On the 80's I took 4 sets of 20 reps, just wanted to release the tension in my shoulders between attempts. The round of 60's went in 30-15-15, and these were intended breaks. Actually my only misses came in the first set of 100 du's. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if I had more misses. Set of 40 was done in 20-20, and the last one unbroken. I didn't wanna burn my shoulders in the beginning and try knocking the sets unbroken or even close. I know what I'm capable of and tried to stick to my game plan.




Toes-to-bar was quite consistent all the way. Towards the end my abs were close to cramping but it got avoided, luckily. First set was 10-10-10, then 10-8-7. Set of 20 was probably 8-6-6, then 7-5-3 and last set was something like 6-2-2, with minimum rest. On the earlier sets I dropped from the wall, took couple of steps away from the pull-up bar and returned for another attempt.

I believe my core will be a little sore tomorrow, we'll see about that. It's still gonna be another training day on Thursday. These workouts this week have been great and there's no sight they would be worse later in the week!



No comments:

Post a Comment