Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tuesday 12.8: Bar mu's, Ring dips, Pair wod

Tuesday. Skills, bar muscle-ups. Strength, weighted ring dips with wall ball. Metcon, pair workout of running, kb snatches (24kg), and wall ball shots.

Alright, getting together with my main man Tony the Pony is always great! I see this dude pretty much every day of my life but still we don't have that many opportunities anymore to hit a workout together. So I cherish every time that happens. He's a great training partner to have. Always pushing you forward and talking you up so no wonder he's a liked person to be around. Today we drove to Pirkkola, a classic outdoors place if you've followed me before. The place is destined for some bar muscle-up training, and Toni brought his rings from home so we took advantage of those too. We pushed to the limits with a pair workout in the end.



Skills.

  • Bar muscle-ups (21 reps)

I'd really like to practice this skill frequently now as I've learned the right technique finally. Since I got my first bar muscle-up - probably last summer? - I haven't had missed attempts practically at all. I can get myself over the pull-up bar but my technique has demanded some requirements. There was a time I understood it but then I didn't practice it that much and I kind of regressed to that awkward style where I do the work mainly with the right side of my body instead of using the entire body evenly.


Recap

Recently there has happened a huge progress and I realized the technical improvements and was able to take them in to use. With the help of Pauliina actually. So I really wanted to try them out today and prove myself this is a movement pattern I can do. And I certainly proved it to myself. Took 22 reps in total, in sets of 3-6-7-6. Felt good all they way!



Dips.

  • Weighted ring dips 5-5-5-5-10 reps
  • With 9kg wall ball between legs

This was a cool twist. It's a rarity to play with weighted ring dips. It would definitely be a good ingredient to the soup. Probably would somewhat help with all work done with the rings, muscle-ups especially. We took couple of sets without any extra weight and then grabbed the wall ball between our legs and completed sets with that 9kg ball. I took mostly 5's but then in the end I took 10 reps. That maybe says I could have taken higher rep sets. For some reason those dips were heavy-ish though.




Metcon. Pair workout, time 20.21

  • 5 rounds for time and reps of:
  • Athlete 1: Run 350m
  • Athlete 2: Complete 8/8 kettlebell snatch (24kg), followed by amrap of wall ball until athlete 1 finishes his run. Then change roles and finish the round

This was lots of fun. It was an individual work being done as a team. We worked towards a common target, getting the work done as quickly as possible. It took us 20+ minutes in total. Either Toni or me was running all the time. While the other one was running his 400m run (it might be shorter), the other completed 8 right hand kb snatches with 1.5 pood bell and then as many reps as possible of wall ball shots in the remaining time of the other one's running.




So I started and went for running for the loop and Toni did kb snatches and amrap of wall balls. As I returned, we changed so that he went running and I started the kb/wb work. Result was the number of wall balls you got each round. My result was 25-25-25-20-25 reps, a total of 120 reps.



My lower back hurt like hell during the snatches. This is sick but those heavy deadlifts have bugged me for a week now. I did them last Tuesday so it's about time to get rid of it. Running and snatches were the ugly part considering that back pain. Other than that I felt great during the wod. Running was not fast, didn't time it but I felt like I can't run that fast. On the wb's I got a steady pace. First round unbroken, and I took that as my target for the remaining rounds. On the second I guess I did 15-10, and something similar in the later rounds. Maybe 3rd and 4th were 15-5-5 and 10-5-5, and in the last round I got 15-5-5, tried to keep the recovery just short so that the tension in the shoulders could be released.



This was an excellent session. Working outdoors is always a pleasure and in good company it's always even better. Hoping to see some friends hit workouts with me outdoors while the weather is still great and summery!

First 10 minutes of the wod





No comments:

Post a Comment