Friday, February 7, 2014

Friday 7.2: Muscle-ups, half Murphy

Friday. Skills, muscle-ups. Metcon, half Murphy: 800m run, 10 rounds of Cindy, 800m run. For completion.

Last day of holiday so it was definitely a drive to Liikuntamylly once more. It was an easier day for a reason. I wasn't ready to hit another tough day with heavy barbells. So I stayed at skills and a metcon of running and bodyweight movements. It was a good decision, that's for sure.



Skills.

  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Bar muscle-ups


I was prepared to work on the rings longer than normally and hit several reps. One thing I've noticed though. When my body is tired, I find it difficult to get any reps done on the rings. Bar mu's, no problem, but ring mu's are very challenging. Today was one of those days. The only reason I didn't take a rest day, is because I had the possibility to come to Liikuntamylly. It's a rarity so I definitely ain't gonna skip it! And I'm glad I came. It was just too much for my body on the rings. I took a couple of misses and then focused on the bar muscle-ups.




Metcon. For completion

  • 800m run
  • 50 pull-ups
  • 100 push-ups
  • 150 squats
  • 800m run
  • You can partition the movements as you wish

I took it without any stress today and completed a bodyweight metcon. Murphy is a her workout, 1 mile run, 20 rounds of Cindy followed by another 1 mile run. That's rough. I decided to make it a half Murphy, cutting the number of reps and meters to half. 800m run on both ends of the workout and then 10 rounds of Cindy. In Murphy you can partition the 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups and 300 squats as you like. I've understood people traditionally run them through as a 20-round Cindy, a.k.a. 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 squats per round, a total of 20 rounds.


This metcon felt better than I thought. I wasn't so gassed and it didn't feel as bad as I thought it might. That was a great surprise. I did this for completion, not for time, didn't have a timer running, no idea how much it took.

Recap

It has been an awesome week. My holiday weeks tend to be the best training days as the opportunities are endless and I get to work on my oly lifts in places that are normally out of reach. I saw a PR in Grace earlier this week. I was also able to practice on my handstand skills and bar muscle-ups. It was also cool to mix running into my workouts, in metcons and as intervals, love it! In other words, I worked on my weaknesses.



No comments:

Post a Comment