Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday 28.2: Ring mu's, bodyweight metcon

Friday. Ring skills, perform 10 muscle-ups. Metcon, 5rds of: 30du's, 10 pull-ups, 30du's, 10t2b's. Time 12.02.

My body was so tired yesterday that I decided to play it safe today. Left the barbells alone and concentrated in bodyweight action. Focused a lot on ring muscle-ups and then completed a 5-rounder of double unders and pull-up bar movements. The biggest news of the day was the Crossfit Open Announcement 14.1 from Atlanta. This was the first event announcement of a total of 5 weeks. The best performers from each region will proceed to the next stage called Regionals. What I was surprised of is that Mikko Aronpää is competing in Asia's region this year. Don't know why though.




Skills.

  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Perform 10 reps

There were couple of training sessions I had huge problems with ring muscle-ups. Bar muscle-ups are nowadays rolling pretty well. There's a lot of technique to be improved but I get the reps done. On the rings it's been way more shaky and it's not self-evident I get the reps at all. I was thinking a lot what's going wrong and why I'm not flying up there.


Once I watched Rich Froning compete in last year's Games in the final event I was somehow able to do some mental training and I understood how the transition part should be done, how explosively man must do the transition. It stuck in my brain and once I went to the gym and tried it, I got 5 reps (on Wednesday). Today I was aiming higher.



Had in mind to concentrate in this movement and perform 10 reps. No barbell movements today, just wanted to get a good feeling on the rings and save some energy from strength training. I was thinking if it's too ambitious plan to hit 10 reps but once I got the first rep it felt good to remember the teachings from Cinco 2 and last training session. Rep after rep flew by and it boosted confidence after one. Finally I got to 10 mu's and I was mr. happy.

Crossfit Games Update Show



Metcon. Time 12.02

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 30 double unders
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 30 double unders
  • 10 toes-to-bar
Main ingredient being double unders, I wanted to mix 2 other movements done with the pull-up bar. First I had air squats in mind as one element (pull-ups, squats and du's) but it turned out to be a 5-rounder of du's, pull-ups and t2b's. It was about time to mix t2b's in a workout. Total of 5 rounds equals 300 double unders, 50 pull-ups and 50 toes-to-bar.


I performed well on the double unders except the first 2 sets. It took me 1 miss in both of them. From then on I think it was unbroken. There may have been a third set at some point that witnessed a miss. It was natural movement today. I watched someone perform 14.1 workout and he was circulating the jump rope like a maniac. It caught me thinking should I try to go faster on the double unders. On the other hand I'm having it in my wheelhouse currently so I'm not sure if I wanna make any changes to it.


Pull-ups were awkwardly challenging after those muscle-ups. Yea I did them ub as well as t2b's. There was only 10 reps of both but hanging from the bar started to become uncomfortable after a while. I could have cut the rest times between the movements and should focus on this aspect in workouts.


It felt simply super to nail those muscle-ups on the rings just like that. Well, not "just like that" but anyway, I got what I wanted. No missed reps at all, pure success. I hope I'm able to keep the recipe for successful reps in the back of my head in the future as well. Once I'm so confident with single reps it's about time to start working towards several reps and proper swing. Now it's time to perfect those single reps and gain good confidence.



Crossfit Open Announcement 14.1

Here's the Crossfit Open 14.1. It's a repeat workout from Crossfit Open 2011. We did this once about a year ago with Toni. I remember it wasn't fun, pure agony =) Shoulders were in fire and I kinda remember our double unders weren't going great at the moment which made it a bit more miserable. It's a good crossfit workout, no doubt about it! We only have small plates at the gym at light weight. The first big plates are 15kg plates. It would be important to have big plates on this workout.

  • 10min amrap of:
  • 30 double unders
  • 15 power snatches, 35kg



1 comment:

  1. By the way, 10 reps is more than I've ever done. This far 5 reps in a day has been max

    ReplyDelete