Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday 17.2: Shoulder-to-overhead, squat snatch and metcon

Monday. Push press 3-3-3 (70-80kg), jerks 3-3-3 (85-90kg). Squat snatch (40-57.5kg). Metcon, 3rds of: 15 hang power snatch, 30 box. Time 8.24

I had a plan of doing some sort of shoulder-to-overhead movements. Pauliina has been talking me for a while into doing either shoulder or push press so I respected that wish =) Did some jerks too and then moved to working my squat snatch. The metcon in the end was a creation of Toni's affiliate and was a good leg burner.



Shoulder-to-overhead.
  • Push press 3x70, 3x75, 3x80kg
  • Push jerk 3x85kg
  • Split jerk 3x85, 3x90kg
The only logic I had in this one was to do triples to the finish. I didn't know exactly to what I would be capable of with the weights on each movement. It was encouraging to see that the 80kg bar moved nicely. The weight itself wasn't that bad which was very cool. However, I tried to do them touch'n'go style and this time the technique wasn't there. That's why it looks a little shaky =) I'm glad that 70-75kg bars felt light.


Push press 80kg


Push jerk was very shaky for some reason. I think I could have done that 85kg weight as push press too. The barbell leaned too much forward on the push jerks. The first rep was a fail so I took 3 good reps after that one. Then I took split jerk triples @ 85kg and 90kg. I guess I have never done even 2 shoulder-to-overhead reps in a row. Today I did a triple. Not bad!


Squat snatch.
  • 3x40, 3x45, 2x50, 1x52.5, 1x55, 1x57.5kg
I made some success on the snatches. It was the first time I snatched 57.5kg on squat snatch. I guess I have taken 55kg some time but definitely the first one at this weight. I don't wanna call that a personal record because it ain't. I've taken 62.5kg as power snatch which seems to be easier for me to take the "big kilos". As if my snatch weights were big anyway =)

Push jerk 85kg


I took all reps from hang position. It's not okay to drop weights at my gym so it's always a bit mental thing to hit something close to max kilos. I'll definitely take some more squat snatches from the ground on my next holiday week in March. One more point is that at my home gym 10kg plates are the smallest ones. The first big plates are 15kg so those are the lightest ones I could use when pulling from the ground. That's the reason why I find it difficult to practice squat snatch from ground, and go for hang squat snatch instead. I want that 50kg to be light in the future so I can keep on pulling from the ground and to squat snatch.

Metcon. Time 8.24
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 15 hang power snatch, 40kg
  • 30 box jumps, 61cm

I was about done and ready to hit the locker room. Then I started thinking there could be some room for a metcon. I remembered Toni mentioning their "workout of the day" at the affiliate, consisting of hang power snatches and box jumps. It sounded good and I figured it's gonna be rather short one.

Split jerk 90kg


I changed my shoes and packed my oly shoes to my training bag. It was time for some more snatches and box jumps. I put the timer running and started working. The snatches were 10+5 every round. I thought they would smoke me worse than they did. Should have nailed them unbroken. That was a miss in strategy.

Box jumps were tougher. I completed them unbroken though. God damned they started to heat my thighs all around. They were burning from the very first round. I usually do max 15 reps at a time so completing 30 reps is a totally different ball game. I'm glad I got them done without stopping at any point. Naturally my time got slower on them but still unbroken. First time was about 2:20 and the last 2 rounds were the same, about 3:00.



Crossfit 515's mainsite workout. Triple unders and 84kg thrusters





No comments:

Post a Comment