Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday 15.2: Heavy cleans, metcon of power cleans, burpees, du's

Saturday. Every minute on the minute, 2 squat cleans @ 90-95kg, for 10min. Metcon, 10 to 1, down by 1's, power clean (60kg), burpees. 20 double unders after each round. Time 14.57.

Heavy day. Heavy squat cleans to start with, then a metcon with power cleans, burpees and double unders. Breathing was heavy for sure in that one. I loved the training day! And I was able to move the bar well. There was no easy piece in this entity for me.



Strength.
  • Every minute on the minute:
  • 2 squat cleans, for 10 minutes
  • 5min @ 90kg, 5min @ 95kg


My initial plan was to do 10 sets of doubles at around 90kg. I thought it would be tough enough. However, once I took my first 2 reps I decided to add the stakes and make it an emom training. That means I reduced my recovery time to about 45 seconds. That made it tougher of course. It was a perfect decision.

Cleans, 90-95kg, 2 reps every minute, for 10min


I was very surprised how light the bar felt. After having done emom for 5 minutes I decided to add it to 95kg, and finish the remaining 5 minutes with heavier set-up. And I didn't have any issues with the weight at all. That was sick. Felt like I could have gone for 100kg as well. I understand I'm able to nail those 90-95kg singles but doing 2 singles in a row was great for me at these weights.



I simply love cleans. I put a lot of effort in working my strength and technique last autumn and it started to pay off pretty soon. That was the time I fell in love with the movement. That time I was not happy with the weights I was able to move so I started to do them about 3 times a week. It was a clear dedication to improve on cleans. That was also when I started doing squat cleans  instead of power cleans. It was one of the best decisions this far.



Metcon. Time 14.57
  • 10 to 1, down by 1's:
  • Power cleans, 60kg
  • Burpees
  • 20 double unders after each round

Cleans and bodyweight movements make up a good combination for a metcon. This was a high-rep movement workout with 55 power cleans and burpees. Because of the number of reps, I decided to adjust it to 60kg on the barbell. I started with 10 reps of both cleans and burpees, then 9 reps both, 8 reps both, coming down by 1's all the way to 1 rep. After each round I took 20 double unders so there were a total of 200 double unders.


I think I got this performed well. Beforehand I thought cleans would be the toughest movement, and it probably was. I had no strategy on this one, just started to move the bar and felt by feeling. I did the first set unbroken, on the round of 9's I did 6+3 and on the round of 8's it was 5+3. From then on I did all rounds unbroken.


Burpees went unbroken all the way and were easier than I thought. Burpee is a king movement. When made in large amounts it taxes the entire body. Doing 55 reps isn't a large amount, usually it still sucks in a metcon like this when it's part of a metcon with a rep-scheme like this. I was able to keep moving even though it started to feel uncomfortable at some point.



Double unders were also easy today. Got them unbroken each round and at least I felt like my form stayed okay. It felt very natural to do the reps. It was like I didn't have to think about the jump rope or jumping at all, the rope was somehow like an extension of my arms, it just felt natural.


Recap of metcon



No comments:

Post a Comment