Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tuesday 11.2: Mary

Tuesday. Benchmark workout Mary, 20min amrap of: 5 hspu, 10 pistols, 15 pull-ups. Result. 10 rounds (300 reps).

We are celebrating an anniversary today with Pauliina. Have had amazing 2 years with my baby and I love this woman for life, that's for sure! Before going home I had a short time window available to sneak in at the gym and go for a benchmark workout called Mary. I've done it before and I love it every time.

Something was waiting for me at home <3


Mary. Result 10 rounds (300 reps). Compare to 4.9.2013
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 pistol squat, alternating
  • 15 pull-ups

This went perfectly! I topped my PR with 28 reps, it was 9 rounds + 2 hspu last time. Now I got to exactly 10 rounds. Had something like 5-6 seconds left after I had done my last pull-up so I just didn't have time to go for another hspu. I'll take those 10 rounds with a big smile on my face. Total of 50 hspu, 100 pistols and 150 pull-ups.

All of the movements are challenging in their own ways. Handstand push-ups were the easiest ones this time. I had no issues with them whatsoever on any of the rounds. Hammered them through unbroken with a kipping style all the time.


Another commentary clip from Greg Everett and Catalyst Athletics


Pistol squats were tough all the way. I was able to keep going with them but it definitely consumed my energy tank and burnt my legs and breathing. I did the pistols without stopping in-between for a break, at least not more than 2 seconds. Not unbroken just like that but still with more like a continuous movement.

Pull-ups, uuh… The number of reps was huge. Probably more than I've ever done in a workout, total of 150 reps. And they definitely felt in my wings. I completed the first 3 or 4 rounds unbroken. From then on I intentionally dropped that strategy because it got to be so taxing. I did 10 reps, walked a certain circle and jumped back on the pull-up bar and finished the 5 reps. I was able to hold on this game plan for the rest of the workout. On average my rounds were exactly 2min.

I had some problems in the locker room afterwards. Had troubles bringing my hands up in the shower to put shampoo in my hair =) My upper body was extremely tensed because of the mount of reps in Mary. That brought me to think about something. It never gets easier even though you get better. You're just able to complete more reps in a given time frame, or you can nail a workout to the finish line in a shorter time domain. That's kind of cool about crossfit. We all know the feeling after Fran or Grace. It doesn't matter if it takes 2 minutes, 10 minutes or something in-between. The feeling is universal. Even among the fittest of the fittest, the Games athletes.


I respect Blair Morrison's training philosophy a lot. He has some awesome workouts

In a long amrap metcon like this, it is actually a bit intimidating to do so many reps. Thinking about the number of pull-ups in this workout was sick, at least for me. Okay, I remember a time when I first did 100 pull-ups, and my upper back was sore for 3 days. Currently 100 reps is not an issue anymore but 150 reps is already quite a number. If I perform better next time, is it going to be something around 165-180? That makes me crap my pants just for the thought of it… Anyways, I feel great and I rocked this one today! Plus, I love my baby!




2 comments: