Friday, July 18, 2014

Friday 18.7: Squats, 7min metcon

Friday. Strength, back squats 5x3 (across 100kg). Metcon, 7min of. 2-2, 4-4, 6-6 etc, squat clean (70kg) and ring dips. Result, 60 reps.

We got back home last night from Spain. It was a great trip, no doubt about it. Always great to go on holiday. It was a night flight, we departed somewhere around midnight so it wasn't the best of sleep deposited in this body. Got to bed around 8.00 in the morning and slept for 4 hours until noon. In the evening I was exhausted but still determined to hit the gym and get some workout done. I decided to try muscle-up, just to remind my body what it feels like. Then some light back squats because after the american trip my hip flexors got inflamed due to heavy pause squatting after a long flight. In the end I took a short metcon of cleans and dips, inspired by Toni.



Strength.

  • Back squat 3-3-3-3-3 (across @ 100kg)

Squats are something I always long after if I can't get access to a barbell. I also think a man should be squatting 2-3 times a week to keep the legs strong and improve them. Without squatting that's too difficult. So first session after landing in Finland involved some squats. As I wrote, they were lighter in nature, just triples at 100kg. They caused no problem whatsoever. It felt good to have them and definitely gotta keep 'em in the schedule frequently. Below you'll see most of the sets.



Metcon. Result, 60 reps.

  • 7 min ladder
  • 2-2, 4-4, 6-6… of:
  • Squat clean, 70kg
  • Ring dip

I got this from Toni. It looked good on paper immediately and I put it away in my notes right away. Yesterday in the airplane I had time to think about the following days' programming and this popped in to my eye. Decided to give it a go. My energy levels were not through the ceilings so I took it a little easier than I have potential to. I was a bit careful on those hip flexors too because I didn't want to duplicate the problem that happened in the end of May.



This was anyway a good workout. I liked it a lot. Ring dips are not my favorite movement but they are coming better together nowadays as I've done them quite a number. They are not such scary stuff anymore when I put them as part of a metcon. Squat cleans were moderate weight. I'll clean 110+ kilos on a good day so this weight seemed good for today after practically not touching a bar in a week. It's always different to train with bodyweight and barbells.

It was awesome to get back in action for real. I'll keep working myself towards a better athlete tomorrow. This was a good opener for regular training!





No comments:

Post a Comment