Thursday, July 3, 2014

Thursday 3.7: Clean, Overhead metcon

Thursday. Strength, build up to a heavy single (max 112.5kg PR). Metcon, 100 S2O (50kg). For every drop, complete 10 box jumps. Time 14.45.

I was pumped up to get some cleans done. Thought about going for 3RM on hang cleans but instead decided to check where my max would be at the moment. It happened to be time to visit PR town. Afterwards I put some iron in the sky and had box jumps as a punishment in that workout. Good training day! Joni and Pauliina was there with me and Joni happened to crush his old deadlift record, c'mon!


Strength.
  • Build up to a heavy single
  • 5x40, 3x60, 2x70 2x80, 1x90, 1x95, 1x100, 1x105, 1x110, 1x112.5kg PR, failed at 115kg, 1x100kg
It sure was a great strength session. I had a setback one month ago. After not touching on a barbell it felt very heavy already on light weights after my comeback. Since then I've been working my butt off to get back on track and now I'm feeling I am where I wanna be. It was a bit rocky in the beginning but now I'm feeling good. And that's the reason I needed to see where my max load would be on cleans. To get more confident on the movement too.

105kg

First reps were hang cleans which is part of my routines when it's clean-day. I usually go up to around 70kg on hang squat cleans to activate my entire body more properly for the bigger lifts. Today the bar was light and it definitely felt easier when Joni was there to talk me up.

112.5kg PR

It was strange that the bar itself wasn't heavy today at any stage. It came up pretty well as you can see in the videos. It traveled high enough also on the 115kg attempt. There was some sort of mental block preventing me not go under the bar. Looks kind of awkward to do a clean pull and not squatting under it at all.

115kg attempt

Had a problem at 110kg of not pulling the barbell fiercely enough backwards. Thus it stayed a little front but it was easy to recover this time. My record lift was better than 110kg because we talked it over with Joni what the reason was. Very valuable chat on that lift. The front squat part of squat cleans has never been an issue. It's kind of cool it feels much lighter compared to a regular front squat.

I'm happy on these successful lifts! I also took an attempt at 115kg, took a fail and then reminded my body what a good lift looks like so I took additional 100kg clean in the end.

Easy!


Metcon. Time 14.45
  • 100 shoulder-to-overhead, 50kg (barbell from ground)
  • For every drop, complete 10 box jumps on the spot
What a great workout! At least my shoulders were smashed after this one. Actually they were killing already at around 40 reps =) Simply put, complete 100 reps of shoulder-to-overhead movement with 50kg. Grab the bar from ground and every time you have to drop it back complete 10 box jumps right away. Then you're ready to continue those S2O's.

On the first attempt I took 20 reps, then it was 10's all the way. It was a struggle to get them done from mid-workout on. I'm extremely satisfied on being able to hit those 10's throughout the workout. Last 2-3 reps every set were miserable. Breathing was definitely higher than normally but under control anyway because I had to have a pause after box jumps before getting a hold on the barbell again.

Today felt great! PR's taste delicious every time for sure and the following workout took a great burden on my shoulders which was the goal.




4 comments:

  1. Hieno veto!

    Tekniikka pysyi ihan täydellisesti koossa, toi 115kg oli enemmän henkinen raja kuin fyysinen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niin ja btw. en tiedä mitä on tapahtunut mutta pädillä blogias lukiessa se jämähtää aina, läppärillä, puhelimella tms. ei mitään ongelmia. Muissa blogeissa ei ongelmia, tiedä mistä johtuisi moinen..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jes, kiitti Juha! Aika sairas juttu jos toi vetää koneen jumiin pädillä, en kyl osaa sanoo mikä siinä on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Onhan mulla aika paljon kuvii ja videoita, voiks se vaikuttaa, en tiiä. Mut jos se tosiaan muilla vehkeillä toimii niin en osaa jeesii tai tehdä muutoksii

    ReplyDelete