Monday, July 28, 2014

Sunday 27.7: Kettlebell and Burpees + Human overhead squat

Sunday. AM: Metcon, 7min amrap, ascending ladder, 3-3. 6-6, 9-9… of kb swing, 32kg and burpees over kb. Result, 126reps. PM: Overhead squats, cleans and thrusters with Pauliina =)

The weather was still beautiful and looks like it's gonna be the case for quite a while according to the forecasts. It's awesome to do the workouts outdoors. I had brought my kettlebell with me so it was only natural to have some playing around with it. It turned out to be a 7min ladder of swings and burpees. After showering the workout off we fooled a bit with Pauliina as she was my barbell and I did some ohs, cleans and thrusters. That was a lot of fun!



Metcon. Result, 126 reps

  • 7min amrap of ascending ladder
  • 3-3, 6-6, 9-9… of:
  • Kettlebell swing, 32kg
  • Burpee over kettlebell

These 7min amraps are great in nature. It's a short time, so you better push a little more than normally. My workouts tend to last for 10+ minutes and in those workouts you have to pace yourself and not go all in from the beginning. Okay, I didn't throw balls to the wall in this either but the point is you have to push through a bit more because the workout is shorter.


This was a couplet, 3 reps of both movements in the beginning, and then increase the number of reps with 3 more each round. Continue as long as you can in this ascending ladder until the 7min time cap comes full. I've done couple of these in the past and they are great. Last time was something like overhead squats and burpees. That was cruel, I remember my shoulders were killing me.


My burpees today were a bit different in nature. Yesterday evening I had thought about doing over the bar burpees. Okay, my tool turned out to be kettlebell so I did them jumping over the kb. Those burpees felt somehow very good. I went barefoot in the grass and it felt like it really is summer now. I enjoyed this one even more than just a regular workout because of the surroundings. I got to thank Kari for being my camera man this time.



Playing around.

  • Overhead squats
  • Cleans
  • Thrusters
  • Pauliina was my "barbell"

An hour later we fooled around with my baby. We've been thinking about doing overhead squats as a team so that I'm the one squatting and Pauliina the one holding a tight core up in the air. We started thinking about how it's done and started experimenting. This was tons of fun. Real life weightlifting =)


It wasn't easy for sure. The barbell was shaking and in the beginning she wasn't as straight as to what I'm used to. But that was easy to fix and from then on she kept the core tight and she was being easier to handle. She's light so the weight itself wasn't that bad to handle but it's way tougher compared to a iron barbell. Human flesh is shaking all around. But that was exactly the fun part of it.


We finally got some reps nailed in the books and then went to advanced level with cleans and thrusters. Haha what a blast! Sunday-Funday Donscrossfit style. Great training day!







1 comment: