Saturday, October 11, 2014

Friday 10.10: Clean and jerk complex, 12min amrap

Friday. Strength, C&J complex: 1 power clean + 5 jerk (max 85kg). Metcon, 12min amrap of: 10 one-arm kb ohs, 15 ring dips/push-ups, 200m run. Result, 5rds + 12 dips.

It was awesome to get that bar overhead. Sometimes it feels like it's my mission to get it pressed / jerked up in the air. It feels great and there is something brutal in the movement. I feel strong having weight with straight hands in an overhead position. My plan entering the gym was vague and soon I found myself doing some sort of c&j complex with ascending ladder of weights. Afterwards the metcon was a present for doing a good strength training. Pauliina and couple of other training buddies were there too. Good training day for sure!



Strength. C&J complex
  • 1 power clean + 5 split jerk (50, 60, 70, 80, 85kg)
My plan Joni was doing cleans so it felt right to do some barbell work in turns with same weights. He was focusing on power cleans and then squat cleans with heavier weights. We started with light weights naturally. I took some power clean sets with 50kg before taking it overhead. The first set of 50kg c&j was wobbly and I couldn't find out why that happened. Cleaning the bar to front rack position was light today, I really feel like my technique is getting there. Starting position is way better than before and my lats are tighter together.

Anyway, it turned out the first set at 50kg was just too light and I had that much speed on the bar so it was somehow shaky. Next set at 60kg was way better, and it stayed good all the way. My focus on these sets was to focus on the bar path, jerking it right upwards in a perfect vertical line. That was the goal, hard to say how it looked like as I didn't have the possibility to catch it on video. But at least it wasn't in front of me because I would have noticed that and it would have not been that stabile. That's why I was very satisfied to this session.

The weights were good for me too. I don't know if I have ever had that much kilos for a set of 5 reps overhead. There's no other possibility but to be happy for this.

There's been a million hits on this blog, never thought this day would come

Metcon. Result, 5 rounds + 12 ring dips / push-ups
  • 5 right hand kettlebell overhead squat (10kg)
  • 5 left hand kettlebell overhead squat (10kg)
  • 15 ring dips / push-ups
  • 200m run (treadmill, 16km/h)
The metcon was not supposed to be hardcore but I fought through it with attitude anyway. This was a triplet of kb ohs, dips and running. My original plan was to do ring dips all the way but there were a lot of people at the gym Friday night and one guy came to play with the rings during my running. So I completed first 3 rounds as ring dips and then the last 3 sets were regular push-ups.



Overhead squats with kb in one-arm are challenging to me because of mobility issues, in both shoulders and hips. It would be awesome to being able to knock them just like that, and preferably with double kb's too. I have to keep it light weight because at times the kb might fall a bit forward. Anyway, I got the reps unbroken, first right and then left hand. Went just below parallel, not a deep deep squat but just over 90 degrees.

Ring dips went unbroken on the first round, then it got tougher. Second set 10-5, and third one was something like 5-4-3-3. Push-ups were much lighter but I cut them too on the last sets, after getting the first set unbroken. I'm surprised I've taken running into my programming on a regular basis. It wouldn't be a surprise but doing it on a treadmill is awkward. Lately Pauliina talked me into trying it and since it has felt good on a metcon.



No comments:

Post a Comment