Friday, October 31, 2014

Friday 31.10: Cleans, Front squats, Metcon

Friday. Strength, clean singles (max 107.5kg), front squat triples (120kg). Metcon, 12-9-6-3 of: squat clean (60kg), burpee box jump. Time, 6.08.

This Friday we had scheduled some boys night out in the evening with Toni and some other friends. Before that we went to the gym where Toni focused on coaching and mobility. He's suffering from a back injury, hopefully just a minor one and we'll see him back in action soon. My focus was on heavy cleans and front squats. Don't know if that was the smartest thing as my legs were already smoked =) Metcon was a short but intense one, brutal on legs.



Strength.
  • Clean singles 1-1-1-1-1-1 (100, 102.5, 105, 107.5, 110f, 100kg)
  • Front squat triples 3-3-3-3 (100, 110, 115, 120kg)
I put it on my calendar that I'll go after heavy cleans but not max out. It turned out that my max today was anyway at 110kg. Toni was giving tips after each rep and trying to fix my early arm pull. It has gotten 10 times better than before but still there's something like that visible to my eye. Got to go after these heavy cleans, I love them. It might have been a great idea to hit something like 7x1 at a fixed weight at around 100-105kg to focus purely on form under heavy weights. After one failed rep I dropped it down to 100kg for an easy single.

Took some recovery in this pool and sauna combination in the evening

Combination for strength consisting of cleans (& jerks) and front squats work very well together. It's been something like 2 months since previous front squats. I've been back squatting my ass off because of Smolov program and tried to minimize all other squatting. These felt rather heavy today but still okay solid. Nothing to worry about, kept knocking the weights up and down for triples. Max was at 120kg.




Metcon. Time 6.08
  • 12-9-6-3 of:
  • Squat clean, 60kg
  • Burpee box jump
My legs were killed already before this training session and cleans + front squats didn't help either. Entering this workout - that I took from Pat Sherwood - was brutal  on my legs. I took the first round of squat cleans unbroken, then on the second set I had to do mostly singles, never saw that coming. Burpee box jumps are a total energy-eater and today it showed me once again why they are used in the crossfit community.

Chilling out in the patio with Toni

There was a little much enthusiastic in the beginning and I choke myself in the very beginning of this metcon. Both movements sucked. Cleans were easy but the squat was tough. Same with the burpee boxes, it definitely burned my legs big time! They were great but smoked be big time. This was a great training session, no doubt about it. Awesome to have Toni and also Joni with me there.




No comments:

Post a Comment