Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday 18.10: Cleans, 20min amrap

Saturday. Every 30sec, perform 1 squat clean (90-100kg), for 10min. Metcon, 20min amrap of: 10 burpee, 15 t2b, 30 du, 300m run. Result, 5rds + 170m run.

Old school crossfit and I freaking loved it! This was my kind of training day. Heavy squat cleans for barbell work and bodyweight stuff for a long metcon. Breathing was heavy but under control throughout the workout and I was able to move all the time. I went to work for today but afterwards was able to sneak to the gym to get my head straight.



Barbell.

  • Every 30 seconds, perform 1 squat clean, for 10 minutes (20 reps)
  • Reps 1-5: 90kg
  • Reps 6-10: 95kg
  • Reps 11-15: 100kg
  • Reps 16-20: 90kg

This is my favorite thing to do with the bar. Squat cleans, and preferably as heavy as possible. Doing them with just a short recovery is totally another story but this is the way I like it. One heavy lift every 30 sec for a total of 10 minutes, changing the weights after each 5 rep (2:30min). Started from 90kg and ascended to 100kg, then the last 5 reps at 90kg.



My focus point was the starting position. Traditionally my legs haven't been that much bent but now I try to sit down more than before. This engages my legs more on the pull so that would bring benefits to the entire lift. Another thing I concentrated on was activating my lats tightly together for as tight back as possible before the lift. This results in the barbell hitting my quads higher. And that is huge. Thus, the bar should bounce more upwards than front, the bar path is more correct and I should be able to get more power and momentum.

In my opinion I succeeded well on these. It's been ages since I've pulled from ground to a squat clean because I've tried to save my legs a bit the last weeks. That's why it wasn't the smoothest in each lift but it felt great all the way. At times I was surprised how high the bar hit my legs and this in turn made the bar rise higher too. Awesome stuff!

Cleans


Metcon. Result, 5rds + 170m run

  • 20min amrap of:
  • 10 burpee
  • 15 toes-to-bar
  • 30 double under
  • 300m run

The purpose of this workout was purely to breath heavily and keep moving. Burpees felt good all the way. On t2b's I had to break them after 2 rounds. Could have nailed the 3rd one but I decided to cut it in 2 sets (10-5). Last 3 rounds I did them in 2-3 sets. Double unders were easy today. Every time I touched the skipping rope it felt like there's not going to be any issues with the jumps, and there weren't. Unbroken each time.

Recap of metcon


Running had to be taken on a treadmill but that doesn't bother me nowadays. I'm okay with that. I'd prefer to run outdoors for sure but that's not an option here so I'll settle for this. It was almost 6 rounds, I got 170m run on the last round. This was a good breather! No excuses to stop and breath. Only t2b's had to be broken because I just couldn't lift my legs anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment