Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tuesday 21.10: Clean and jerk, metcon

Tuesday. Clean and jerk, emom @ 60kg, 5 reps per min, for 8min. Metcon, 5rds of: 15 box, 12 s2o, 9 t2b. Time, 11.05.

Mmm, this was great. Hard core training for me. Clean and jerk in emom style, making me gasp for air. After resting for couple of minutes, I changed the weights and worked another metcon of box, presses and core. This was the essential of crossfit. Constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity.

Pony hitting a workout with me today, lots of oly lifting for him


Barbell.
  • Clean and jerk. every minute on the minute, for 8 minutes
  • 5 reps @ 60kg
It's been some time since doing high volume clean & jerks, touch'n'go style. This was an emom workout, meaning it's more like a metcon, at least with these reps and weights. The load itself wasn't huge, Grace-weight, but it's totally movable load. Complete 5 reps on top of every minute, and rest for the remaining minute, then start another set. That means there's not that much time to recover and breathing kind of stays relatively high and my forearms started to burn. Didn't use hook grip at all, I don't feel natural doing t'n'g reps of c&j so I have open grip.

This was cool for 3-4 minutes, then it started to get tougher. Okay, the time frame in this one was 8 minutes so it shouldn't be that bad to knock 40 reps in that time. At least when I compare this to Grace (30 c&j for time) in which my PR is 2.50. Still, the last 2 sets were nasty and definitely not a sunshine all the way. Good workout in my opinion!



Metcon. Time, 11.05
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 15 box
  • 12 shoulder-to-overhead, 52.5kg
  • 9 toes-to-bar
This was another great workout. I've done something like this before and had the same feeling that time too. It was like my guts would burst out of my body and my shoulders were burning, same with the legs. That equals fun time.

Kevin Ogar hitting it hard


I've done this as 18min amrap before for about 7+ rounds. This time I went for 5 rounds for time (about 11min). Every round was a bit slower than the previous except for the last one where I was able to speed up couple of seconds. This means to say the rounds varied between about 2:00-2:30. Box and t2b's unbroken. Box burned my legs, t2b's were definitely the easiest of the three. Those push jerks were the most challenging. First 2 or 3 rounds were unbroken, then I cut it to 8-4 for the remaining rounds. I did them in push jerks all the way but those started to put pressure on my lower body too so it was kind of a tough decision whether to do push presses or push jerks. This time I went with jerks anyway.

Definitely a workout worth doing, for everyone. If you'd ask me randomly for a workout, this would be on top of the list. Very well-rounded workout, and does expose weaknesses in engine or muscle endurance on shoulders on s2o's and lower body on boxes.



No comments:

Post a Comment