Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday 19.8: Deadlift + wod

Sunday. Strength: deadlift 5 x 5. Rest 5min. Wod: 21-15-9 bar-facing burpees + pull-ups. Time 5.03

Time for deadlift, the whole trio - me, Pauliina and Toni - were into deadlifting today. I took a strength training 5 x 5 style and the others moved onto "death by deadlift" after warming up. Therefore, another mental struggle was indeed about to be faced at our gym :) Pauliina was clearly the toughest of us. My 5-rep sets were 110+120+120+130+120kg. Toni lasted for 7 total rounds and 6 reps on the eight round, total of 34 reps (100kg). Pauliina's guts were strongest today and she lasted for 13 rounds and 7 reps, total of 98 reps (25kg). Pauliina hasn't been pumped up on crossfit and this was pretty much the first crossfit wod she's ever done so we were extremely proud of her effort and result!



Double-unders. Yesterday evening I had to take another training session, this time skills training. I had watched some crossfit videos after morning training and a lot of them included double-unders. Since I had some spare time I decided to take another half an hour to learn this skills move a little bit more. I can do a double-under, no problems in that whatsoever. The problem is that I can't repeat it several times in a row. That's why I'm normally doing every other jump as a double and every other as a single-under. Usually I can do a couple double-singles in a row, so yesterday's PR 17 reps was astonishing :) It is vital to get DUs going well because they are used in quite a number of wods. I can do a couple of DUs in a row but still, I always have to take that exra single-under inbetween so there's a lot to be improved. I don't have rhythm at all to keep the jump rope moving constantly, I kind of stop rolling the rope after  one DU. My skills definitely need more practice, today again I took some time at the gym to enhance in double-unders.



Strength and wod. The strength training was ok but for some reason the bar with all that weight on it felt heavier than I had thought beforehand. My sets were between 110-130kg, most of them with 120kg. At least my technique stayed correct, back straight and shoulder blades pulled just a little bit together.

At the end of the workout I took a wod consisting of bar-facing burpees and pull-ups, reps of 21-15-9. Bar-facing burpees means you do regular burbees but you always have to jump over a barbell. I put some weights on the bar so that it's compulsory to really jump over it. It's not allowed to step over it but you have to jump very time. Burpees went unbroken, wasn't so bad but pull-ups were broken from the very beginning. First 21 reps were something like 10+6+5. Second round maybe 5+4+4+2. Third round was a battle from the beginning, which forced me to conduct reps in 1-2 rep-sets. I have to keep on including pull-ups in my daily routine and start learning kipping style better to make it easier for my upper body. If I always have to do them broken I consume extra time constantly. Take Fran for example, I could drop over one minute of my PR just like that if I could perform pull-ups with kipping style.



Toni made some tabata workouts at the end, dips and single-unders. Little by little he's also getting to that double-under level, the first step has already been taken, he bought his own rope so it's easy to get it going at home as well. I have to keep on practicing, otherwise that guy is going to beat me in those. Tomorrow it's going to be a push press day, looking forward for it!


4 comments:

  1. Joo selvästi olin kyllä kovin... 25 kilolla!! :D ehheh.. noh, jostain on alotettava ;) ja ainakin tuntuu selässä!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my back is killing me. In a good way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beibe, you rocked it! Don't think about the kilos, no need to compare to others' results, you're pretty much competing against yourself :)

    Hey Toni, go and check this out. It's about the wod you just did a while ago. 5 rounds of 5 deadlifts and 10 burpees.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1ktYAf0lA&feature=g-all-u

    ReplyDelete