Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday 30.8: Run 3k


Thursday. Run 3.000m for time. Time 11.28

Test run with my team. This is classic stuff in floorball teams, usually we run these tests in three different versions during off-season to see where stamina level is at the moment. The versions are 5k run, 3k run and 12min run for distance, a.k.a cooper test. Today's test was about running 3 kilometers as fast as possible, 7.5 rounds in running track. Fastest guy's time was 11.12

My goal was to run each round at 1.30min pace. First round was 1.27, time after two rounds was 3.03. At that point I realised pace has to be kept at this level, slightly increased if possible. I tried to keep focus on running technique, keeping good posture, long steps, using hips to their advantage. Anyway, the run was horrible. After three rounds those feelings of extreme discomfort and disblief usually start to rise and then you realise you're not even half way to the final. Coach yelled after 4.5 rounds that we still have 4 rounds to go. That was bad, I had no idea how long we've been running and the feelings were far from positive. Next round he figured out his miscalculation, which eased the rest of the way tremendously, "only 2 rounds to go guys!".

At that point my legs lost that burning pain and they were more like numb, in a positive way. I was able to maintain the pace and when there was only one lap to go I got the boost that I needed. It was boosted when I managed to run by one of my fellow runners. The last 120 meters were awesome, I remember the feeling perfectly. Some sort of euphoria exploded as there was one guy ahead of me some 15 meters, I decided I'm going to win that guy and from somewhere I pulled in the biggest gear I had and tightened my pace a lot. That guy heard my heavy breathing and started to pace it up as well. It was close, finally he won with a couple of meters.

Coming to think about it, I ran 1.32 per round on average, total time 11.28. I don't know what I could have done better, I kept the speed from the very beginning and I'm happy I was able to still do final sprint even though I was totally beaten by those 7 previous rounds. My energy level worn out when I hit the goal line. I'm happy to the run but my PR is 11.27 so this leaves something to improve. My brother suggested we run 5k for time, let's see if we're gonna do that.

This brings another question to my mind. How should my cf programming be implemented? When I started crossfitting in April / May, I used to run much more than nowadays. I've always thought my stamina and condition is good, my strong point. Then I began to add strength training and have been so pumped up about it that I'm going to continue with that path because I'm not satisfied to my strenght level at the moment. However, I think I must keep on adding running to workouts as well. I've been substituting running with rowing but still they are different things, I must have them both included properly. There are some limitations due to my gym's location / equipment. I'm not able to integrate running and strength training at all currently due to this limitations. Then, also skills training should be a daily operation, hand stand skills, ring skills, muscle ups etc. This is a bad one, how is there time to do everything :) That's what I love in crossfit, you're always improving and you'll always get new inspiration from the workouts. Let's see at the gym tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment