Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday 29.8: cardio wod (video)

Wednesday. Wod. Row 750m + 20 DU, 3 rounds. Time 11.46.

I met with Toni at our gym 7.00am for another workout. Toni’s schedule included push press + burpee combination wod, I concentrated purely on cardio this time. I took quite a lot of time in warm-ups, over 30 minutes probably. I wasn’t planning to take any strength exercise today at all so I spent fifteen minutes doing some mobility work by tens of reps with back squats, front squats, overhead squats (OHS) and push presses, with the help of bar and pvc pipe. My aim was to do good long extensions in each end, squatting to the bottom and to full extension at the top, improving mobility and flexibility.

I never imagined OHSs would be that challenging. It’s very difficult to go low enough with bar hanging overhead. My back starts to lean forward automatically and makes it extremely tough on my mobility. If I keep my back straight and steady, I can’t go low enough. There are physical limitations coming to play. I just have to keep on practicing it. As long as I’m doing that good job with hitting the bottom in back / front squats, I’m sure this will keep improving as well. Still, I must take overhead squats into daily warm-up routine to fasten my body’s familiarization with the movement.

Wod. Three rounds of rowing 750m and between sets 20 double-unders. All pressure was on cardio. Time 11.46. My rowing pace was 1.45-1.50 each round. That means my rowing took less than 5 minutes and 30 seconds. Transition took a lot and DUs the rest of the time. I managed to do 10 DUs in a row each time and then the rest went on in smaller pieces. Once again, lack of concentration! It’s annoying to think about it afterwards that if I had done it with better focus on the jumping, my time would have been faster. Because the only thing I can blame it on, is me. This is probably one of the defects training alone (Toni was doing his wod at the same time). If you’re there to cheer for your pal, you get better results as you are kind of forced to give your everything. Now as I think of it, I used way too much time getting my breath in transitions and while doing DUs. I’m happy with being able to do some many DUs in short period of time as I wrote already yesterday but I know that these sets could go unbroken with little more effort. Here you can see a glimpse of those double-unders of mine. I guess my hands are swinging too much on the sides, maybe? help if you know what to do =)


Toni’s wod. 21-15-9, push press (40kg) + burpees. Time 9.40. This guy has improved a lot. He’s lost 7 kilos in one month of crossfitting, what do you say about that? That’s awesome! Today he also skipped strength training and focused on ripping his heart out. I missed the first round of his wod ‘cause I was doing my own simultaneously. He did the set of 21 push presses unbroken and managed to fight through the burpees as well. It redounded upon the second round as he had to complete push presses mainly in sets of 3 reps as his shoulders went noodles. I’m proud this guy went chest down no matter how awful it felt. No cheating. The movements were slow towards the end but went on “unbroken” anyway. On push presses some of the reps didn’t go to full extension in the upright position but this time we let them through. Final time under 10min with 45 push presses and 45 burpees.



In the evening I have training with my floorball team. There’s been a one week pause since last training so I’m looking forward to blocking some shots again.


No comments:

Post a Comment