Saturday, December 8, 2012

Saturday 8.12: Linda + handstand

Saturday. Pair wod Linda. Time 33.21. Handstand and double unders skills training.

Today is my little sister Linda's 18th birthday so in honor of her I met with my brother Sami at the gym to do a wod called "Linda", one of the benchmark Girls. It's also called the "3 bars of death" and for a reason! For a warm-up I took 5x20 double unders, squats, overhead squats, hip openers, cleans, presses and some deadlifts. Then it was time to push the button and hear the classic 3-2-1-go!


Linda. Pair wod, time 33.21. I'm 79kg, Sami is 76kg, we calculated with 80kg anyway.

  • 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
  • Deadlift, 1 1/2 bodyweight
  • Bench press, bodyweight
  • Clean, 3/4 bodyweight

The weights should be in line with bodyweight. If there is a team, bodyweight is the average of the athletes. We calculated as we weighted 80kg, even though we're a bit shy of that. By the way, I used to weigh same as my bro but I've gained those extra kilos that I was looking for, nice! This workout was cruel. First complete 10 deadlifts, 10 bench presses, 10 cleans, then move to round of 9's and so on. As we did it as a team, you're allowed to move to the next station only when both athletes are done with their reps. Sami started with deadlift, I took off with bench press and rotated as described. Deadlift was 120kg, bench press 80kg and clean 60kg. Take into consideration my current maxes. Deadlift 165kg, bench press 87.5kg, clean 75kg.

Beforehand I thought I would have some gigantic problems with bench press, other than that I was confident I would nail it. That prediction was correct, going after 55 reps of my 91% max was a nightmare. Doing strength training with that weight wouldn't be a prob because of the number of reps but these sets were so long that I was in trouble in the early steps and my bro had to partially help me push the bar up. I would have loved to do it individually to go for rx'd workout but that was simply impossible. Got to keep on improving my chest and triceps muscles.

Cleans and deadlift barbells had nice weights on them. The workout made it tough because of the mountain of reps that had to be completed but I loved the weights they had on. I did cleans in two sets up to round of 6's, then the last five sets unbroken. Same strategy with the deadlifts, I divided it to two pieces and last five rounds unbroken. I believe I could have done them unbroken for maybe first two rounds as well but that was off my strategy because I believed it would have killed me later on in the workout. That's why I stuck with the plan and I'm happy about that.

This was extremely tough one and definitely worth being one of the benchmark girls. It was one of the toughest workouts strength-wise. I simply ran out of gas with bench but managed to stay solid with clean and deadlift. Heavy breathing was part of it for sure and I think the other people at the gym were staring at us and wondering why the hell are those guys shouting all the time. It was a huge mental game, especially up to round of 6's. In the beginning it felt the workout is not progressing at all because there were so many reps. In the last rounds it moved on quickly.

Handstand + doubles. After getting a grip of life again after Linda, we concentrated in two areas of skills that need to be trained on. I have strengths in double unders and Sami has some nice handstand skills. So we helped and coached each other with these ones. Sami also did some muscle-ups, a movement I haven't practiced yet, every once in a while I take some jumping muscles-ups.

In the evening I'm concentrating in eating and watching the floorball world championship games. Happy birthday Linda!



4 comments:

  1. This was cruel wod. One of the most demanding wod I have ever done. When wod total time exceeds 20min it's very demanding mentally and of course physically.

    And maybe the worst thing is that "Linda" consist only "barbell movements" with heavy weights.

    But anyway, I'm very satisfied today session. We should keep these more often:) Recommendable wod to anyone.

    -Bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much recommendable indeed! I've decided to take these type of workouts, maybe with two movements. Let's say 10 to 1 by 1's and 1 to 10 by 1's with two different type of moves. Or then 10 to 2 down or 2 to 10 up by 2's. Very tough ones when you time it and fight against the clock if it's done with heavy weights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should we hit this once again? 1,5 year has been passed since last attempt, time flyes:)

    ReplyDelete