Monday, December 9, 2013

Monday 9.12: bench, weighted dips, bodyweight metcon

Monday. Bench press 7x3, weighted dips 5x3. Metcon, 10min amrap of: 10 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 10 pistols. Result 8rds + 10 pull-ups.

I've had pretty awesome training sessions at the end of last week. Their nature have been great. Today I had more of a meathead day with bench pressing and weighted dips for strength. Some controversy for the body so it wouldn't adapt too much and get comfortable at any regular workout. I spiced it up with weighted dips and then a bodyweight wod combining 2 upper body movements and pistol squats. Good day.




Strength. Bench and dips.
  • Bench press 7x3 (80, 85, 90, 90, 90, 85, 85kg)
  • Weighted dips 5x3 (10, 15, 20, 25, 30kg)

For some unknown reason I was eagerly waiting for benching after a break. As you probably already know, this movement is not one I go for every week, more like every 3 weeks. I find there are movements that are more useful for all-around athlete. Still, it's important to have a strong chest and front shoulders so I'll do it every now and then. Weighted dips seemed like a good combo so I attached them for this session.

Did 7 sets of triples on the bench and 5 sets of triples on dips. I really would have liked to go heavier on the bench but without a spotter it's kind of a risky business and I didn't want to call that card. That 90kg bar was a good weight and I really wanted to see how many sets I could have done with 90+. Now 6/7 sets were 85 or 90kg and I felt good on the lifts. The one on the video is my 4th strength set. There is room to add the weights.

Bench 90kg


Weighted dips feel awkward. It's like my shoulders and elbows are rasping and it doesn't feel that natural. Without weights is okay but with added weight hanging from a belt makes the feeling different. I didn't enjoy the uncomfortable feeling. I don't mind muscle pain - I love it - but this is something different so I took only couple of sets of which most weren't even that heavy. I'd rather do bodyweight dips instead.





Metcon. Result
  • 10 min amrap of:
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 pistol squats, 5/5 alternating
Metcon with Pauliina's handprint on =) This was once again a metcon where I was able to keep my motor running on a balanced pace. The picture above shows the round times on rounds 2-7. My result on this one was 8 total rounds + 10 pull-ups. That makes it 90 pull-ups, 80 push-ups and 80 pistols. Pull-ups were easy, on the push-ups it started to become heavier but managed to go unbroken as well. Couple more rounds and it would have been different. The pistols were definitely the hardest part of it. I did them unbroken but with some instability. The pace with them wasn't fast, at least it felt like it. I got rounds done in about 1.10-1.17. Definitely a good metcon and my lunges were damaged after having done this.






1 comment:

  1. Plus hey it was great I was able to do 2 muscle-ups in the warm-up! I'll keep on practicing

    ReplyDelete