Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wednesday 11.12: Push press emom, 20min metcon

Wednesday. Push press emom, 3 reps @ 70kg, for 10min. Metcon, 5 rounds of: 500m row, 6 hspu, 10 pistols, 12 ring dips. Took me about 20 minutes.

My collar bones were sensitive from yesterday's cleans. Plus my traps are sore from lifting 5k, that's much more than I regularly clean per day. Today's program was focusing on shoulder strength and metabolic conditioning with bodyweight movements. There's the qualification round going on at the moment in Finland for national crossfit championship, called Winter War. There are 3 different workouts that are done in a similar way as we've seen in Crossfit Open the last years. The athlete must complete the workouts under supervision in an affiliate's premises and the performances must be videotaped. Take a look at the workouts below.




Strength. Emom.
  • Every minute on the minute
  • Push press, 3 reps @ 70kg, for 10min

Emom training for shoulder strength is awesome. I did these more frequently in the summer time, but it's been months since last time. It's useful to do this one, either as push press or push jerk, both will do. Those collarbones didn't feel good as the bar smashed on them after every rep. Well, it didn't prevent me from doing these, and I felt good completing the movements. The weight on the barbell was good for today. There was lots of upper body action waiting to be done in the metcon as well so I didn't dare to add weight on the barbell.

Metcon. About 20min
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 6 handstand push-ups
  • 10 pistol squats
  • 12 ring dips

Had no plan about how many rounds or what time frame I would be going after. I simply drifted the movements and stations without pressure of the clock. Plus there was a case that mixed my thoughts. I was just about to sit on the rower for the second round as someone stepped in front of me to start rowing on his own… So I did some double unders and hopped on a cross trainer to get some blood flowing. The double unders were not so cool when having weightlifting shoes on =) It's not that easy to jump with those on. I had them on because of the pistol squats.

On the rower I went at about 1:50 pace, not that fast. All bodyweight movements were unbroken. Had no doubts about the hspu's but those ring dips pleased me a lot! I haven't considered them my strength and that's why I intentionally have decided to increase the amount of them. This may sound a small thing but for me it was big to nail all those 12rep sets unbroken.

This was a good play, having fun, enjoying the capability to keep on moving my bodyweight well. It took me about 20 minutes to finish these rounds.


Okay, 1000 muscle-ups… Why? I guess "because I can" =)




Winter War. Second workout
  • The athlete has 20 minutes to find the max load on the following barbell complex
  • Power clean
  • Front squat
  • Press / Jerk
  • Back squat
  • Press / Jerk
  • Overhead squat
  • Men start @ 40kg, and add 5kg after each successful complex
  • Result is the max load lifted in the 20min time frame

Toni did this one today and was able to complete a PR in overhead squats at the same time. His result was 65kg. The first workout in the qualification last week was a "death by hand release burpee + 10m run".






No comments:

Post a Comment