Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday 22.12: 15min amrap, push press amrap + recovery run, c2b's

Sunday. AM: Metcon, 15min amrap of: 8hspu, 8/8 db snatch (22.5kg), 32du. Result 5rds + 10 snatch. Strength, 3rds of: 2min amrap of push press (60kg), 2min rest. Evening: 30min recovery run, C2B training.

Good training day! My shoulders are crushed. Had a lot of work being done with those pieces of my body. And lots of metabolic conditioning was also in play in both metcons. In the morning I went to the gym with Pauliina for 2 metcons and in the evening I wanted to flush legs so I went for a little run and found a pull-up bar to work on my chest-to-bars.


Pauliina worked on her handstand skills today as well as snatch technique. It was awesome to witness her doing both of these. Her body control is very good and it will definitely yield on results as we keep on working these skills. And her mobility is something I'm jealous of. Doing squat snatches is no prob. And the width of her hands on the bar, that's narrow. There's a goal for me, got to ask for some tips on mobility from her =)



Metcon. Result 5 rounds + 10 db snatch
  • 15min amrap of:
  • 8 handstand push-ups
  • 8 right-handed dumbbell snatches, 22.5kg
  • 8 left-handed dumbbell snatches, 22.5kg
  • 32 double unders

My brother asked me afterwards "what's with the rep scheme in this metcon, why so many reps each movement?" I answered: constant variety. Do you need more justification to write a workout that includes high rep movements. Had I done it in for example 5 hspu, 10 db snatch, 20 du, it would have definitely been easier and went unbroken all the way. Decided to mix it up a little by increasing the reps per round this time.



The combination of movements was cruel on my shoulders. Handstand push-ups are always tough. Add some snatch and du pressure on the shoulders and I was done. Continue for 15 minutes and I felt like my gas tank was empty.



I went unbroken on the hspu's for the first round, then it was pretty much 5+3 for the rest of the rounds. On the snatches I did 16 reps - 8 right hand snatches, then 8 left hand snatches. Double the amount to 32 and you have the number of double unders per round. I messed up with them on the first round as my shins ached like hell. After first round it was way easier and better on the double unders.





Strength. Push press, 57 reps
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 2min amrap, push press, 60kg
  • 2min rest

I remember Mikko Salo saying in one clip this was the workout he used to go after quite often to build shoulder strength. I've done it once before, something like a year ago, with 50kg. It was a lot of work to say the least. That 2min rest was warmly welcomed between rounds.


My shoulders were useless after the 15min metcon so it was intimidating to start throwing the 60kg barbell up in the air. It felt good for about 5 reps =) Then it felt like my entire body was shivering. It was a shaky ride but I got it through. And the reps per round were 21+18+18, total of 57 reps.


Chalk it up baby!


On the first round I did 10 in a row, then a rest, continued with 5+3+3 if I remember right. You'll get them from the video. The second round was tougher and the pressure on my shoulders was increasing by every rep. The recovery between racking the bar and taking it back felt like nothing and it definitely was a good workout for the shoulders. Lots of reps with a barbell that you should be able to move fast and for a long period of time. That's why I liked the nature of this one.



Running in the woods

The reason for doing the 15min amrap before this push press amrap was that I knew hspu's would have been a nightmare if there were around 60 push presses completed before them. Then, it would have been very difficult to go for 8 handstand push-ups in a row and I would have been forced to modify the reps somehow. Better this way, I got both workouts and it was as tough as it was supposed to be!



Running & C2B's.

After couple of hours chilling and eating I wanted to flush my legs and go for a run. It's been ages since I've been running / jogging. I found a pull-up bar "accidentally" haha. I decided to practice on my chest-to-bar pull-up skills and pulled as high as possible. I felt like some of the reps were abs-to-bar. It was spectacular to notice I'm able to do consecutive c2b's. It's very difficult at my regular gym because the wall is very close and I need more kip than in regular pull-ups. At this pull-up bar located outdoors. There was plenty of space and I used to hang around at this place more in the summer time.


Pull-up bar / Monkey bars


No comments:

Post a Comment