Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday 8.9: Clean and Jerk emom, metcon of jerk and box

Monday. Barbell, emom'ish x 6 sets: 2 hang squat clean + 2 push jerk (across, 80kg). Pull-up singles 1-1-1-1 (max 40kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 7 push jerk (60kg), 20 box. Time 7.55.

Good training day, I especially liked the metcon in the end. The only thing I wasn't able to complete from the original plan were front squats. Not enough time for that. The session started with some clean & jerk work, then ad hoc weighted pull-ups as I was talked over to test my 1RM on the fly right after the first part of the session. In the end the time was running and I had time to squeeze in a workout that wouldn't take too much time. My notes stood 7 push jerk, 14 pull-ups and 21 box, that would have been a killer workout. The "thing" of this training day was Jouni visiting PR town with 160kg deadlift! This was second time he was pulling stuff from ground in his life, what a stud!!! He'll be lifting 200 in no time as he continues to crossfit.

Mobility tools

Barbell.
  • Every minute on the minute x 6
  • 2 hang squat clean + 2 push jerk
  • Across, i.e. all sets at 80kg
My plan was to hit it in emom-style. However, I didn't stress about the time as we did our barbell work together with Jouni. So it was natural that it wasn't possible to do it exactly every minute. It was more like one set for every 90 seconds. Cleans were light all the way, both reps in each set. I did them from hang position. At some sets it was difficult to hold on to hook grip for the second rep.

Push jerks were much tougher. I got them all done - no doubt - but in some reps I wasn't able to lock out immediately. That means to say I didn't put enough effort on the vertical press and/or didn't squat enough on my way down. Last set of these 6 attempts was the best. I wanted to finish strong so I put a lot of focus on pressing strong while dropping down fast. It felt like the first rep especially flew up. It was a good finish to this one. Got to say the bar path was good on the jerks, directly upwards. Sometimes in push jerks - particularly on the heavier weights - the bar might escape a little too much forward. This was not the case today, got them done well.




Pull-ups.
  • Weighted pull-ups 1-1-1-1 (25, 30, 35, PR 40kg)
Didn't plan to do this. One friend had just finished doing his sets of weighted pull-ups and he was asking where I'm at on this movement. I told him I've never really tested them out. In the beginning when I started crossfitting about 2 years ago, there were some sets but never really tested 1 rep max. Well, it took about 30 seconds to talk me into trying what the heaviest weight would be for me. I didn't wanna sacrifice time on this one because there was a metcon ahead of me and I knew I can't spend the entire evening here. I took couple of reps of fun without resting that much in between. Probably took me all 3-4 minutes to complete these. That was a nice test, happened to reach 40kg for PR.




Metcon. Time 7.55
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 7 push jerk, 60kg
  • 20 box jump, 61cm
Something like "2007" was in my mind for today. Not the original version but it somehow got modified to this piece. It's about push jerks and pull-ups. This time it turned out to be a combination of push jerks and box jumps. Simple and it was such a beauty. This was crossfit. Even though shoulder-to-overhead is upper body movement I'm telling you my legs were burning. Combine that with box jumps and they were gone.

I got both movements done unbroken each round. There was some leg-shaking in between stations, and it took about 1:36 on average per round as I calculate it for all 5 rounds. The number of box jumps were more intimidating this time as both movements put pressure on lower body. And breathing was sky-rocketing too, no surprise there.





No comments:

Post a Comment