Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday 23.9: Clean and jerk complex, Db thrusters, Pull-ups

Tuesday. Strength, clean and jerk complex: 1 hang squat clean + 3 split jerk (max 95kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 10 double db thrusters (2x17.5kg), 10 pull-ups. Time, 5.07.

Great training day for sure. I'd been waiting for this one because Toni and Jouni both came to the gym with me. That combination can result in nothing less than awesomeness. Jouni continued to smash deadlifts, Toni did some Wendler style - push presses. Both guys handled some serious metcons afterwards. My focus was on oly lifts on strength part and a short metcon in the end.





Strength. Clean and jerk complex
  • 1 hang squat clean + 3 split jerk (65, 75, 85, 95kg)
  • 1 hang squat clean + 1 split jerk (100kg)
It's been almost a week since pushing weights overhead so it's probably no surprise I missed this a lot. Decided to go for jerks and take the barbell without a rack to work on my hang squat technique at the same time. The weight on cleans from hang position is no biggie nowadays. Thanks to my main man Toni for the tips he gave me 2-3 weeks ago. Since then it's been on a whole other level.

So I took all cleans from hang position and went down to squat clean each rep. Having this kind of barbell complex is a great way to work on clean and jerk, and especially on the weaker one of them. My clean is way better than the jerk so it's better do this way. Okay it doing 3 cleans and 1 jerk would get my body fatigue before the jerk but I'm sure that would not benefit me as much. The jerk wouldn't be the case at all if it was just one, even after couple of cleans. Today's style is a better one to develop the jerk.

After finishing the last set at 95kg for a triple jerk I decided to get one 3-digit lift in my system so I piled 100kg on the bar and took a single. This was from hang position too and it felt great. This jerk felt better than the last one on 95kg. Probably no surprise there because 3 reps at almost max weight is heavy stuff.

There's something beautiful in this one


Metcon. Time, 5.07
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 double dumbbell thrusters, 2x17.5kg
  • 10 pull-ups
I had to improvise this one on the fly. I hadn't planned to do anything serious today but the plan changed during the day. Toni was doing push presses which inspired me to hit those clean and jerks. Then both of these guys hit tough metcons so I had to start thinking about one too. It ended up being a shortie of thrusters and pull-ups. My legs were kind of stiff from yesterday's training session, don't know quite sure why but because of this I thought about giving a break to lower body. Well, in that case thrusters are not a safe bet =)

Anyway, they got in this metcon, combined with pull-ups, 5-rounder of 10 reps each. It took me about a minute to get through one round. I didn't rush it at any point of the workout. Just worked through with dedication but not all out effort.









No comments:

Post a Comment