Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday 14.9: Rings, Snatch, Metcon

Sunday. Skills, rings. Strength, emom x 8, power snatch x 2 per min (55-57.5kg). Metcon, 3rds of: 1min hang snatch (40kg), 1min box, 1min push press (40kg), 1min row for cals, 1min rest. Result, 228 reps.

After being weak and a human wreck yesterday I was looking to make a strong comeback this Sunday. Rest day definitely made good as my body was extremely tired. I slept like a baby and we woke up rather late today. Huge breakfast of avocados, smoothie and eggs was plumbed down the throat and after letting it settle for a while we headed to the gym for a good training session with Pauliina.



Skills.

  • Ring muscle-ups (3-1-1 reps)

Decided to try some ring muscle-ups in the beginning of this session. Haven't done these or bar mu's either in a while. It feels like an eternity since last time, no idea when it took place in real life. I'm always a bit nervous when trying ring muscle-ups. Bar versions are working well currently but these rings are intimidating. It was a positive surprise to get 3 reps done unbroken in my first attempt! That is current PR and this was only second time I've got this many done in a row. Took some singles after that too.

Rings


Barbell.

  • Every minute on the minute, for 8 minutes
  • 2 power snatch (2min x 55kg, 6min x 57.5kg)

Last time when I did snatches it was Toni and Jouni beside me giving tips on technique and something on the starting position. I had positive memories of that session and it inspired me to get my hands on barbell today for some snatches. I did them as 2 power snatches per minute. Started at 55kg and after 2 minutes I went up by a huge leap of 2.5kg. Stayed there for the rest of the workout. Total of 8 minutes of work, 16 snatches, of which 12 were at 57.5kg.

I'll take those with pleasure. It hasn't been self-evident in the past to get these weights up so it feels great to make those lifts without problems. This type of success builds confidence, that's for sure.


Snatches


Metcon. Result, 228 reps

  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1min hang power snatch, 40kg (20, 17, 17 reps)
  • 1min box jumps, 61cm (20, 20, 20 reps)
  • 1min push press, 40kg (20, 20, 20 reps)
  • 1min row for calories (18, 18, 18 cals)
  • 1min rest

Had something like Fight Gone Bad in my mind when I was writing the workouts for the upcoming week yesterday evening. The gym at our place has no room for throwing wall ball around so that had to be left outside of the workout. Had it with me but there was no use for that. I talked Pauliina into making this metcon with me, she just switched the movements but worked her ass off for this one. I'm very proud of her finishing it with style!




The movements for my workout turned out to snatch, box, press, and row. There were 4 stations, each for 1min time, for max reps each time. Every calorie on the rower is considered a rep. This totaled 228 reps in 12min working time. Barbell was 40kg for snatch and press.

This was as nasty as it should be. If you've ever done FGB you know what this resembles. Okay, here were 4 stations compared to FGB's 5 stations which makes it even more miserable. However, I was done after the workout, it got me. I was still able to hold the pace throughout the workout. Actually snatches were the only movement on which my numbers dropped compared to the first round (20-17-17 reps). Other than that all other stations got identical numbers each round.




All movements kept heart beat up, and it really didn't come back at any point. That 1min rest period was warm-heartedly welcomed to get pulse back down. I've done something like this before, different movements though. Take a look at this one. Anyway, I'm very happy on the consistent pace over the course of this workout. There's nothing like a motor that keeps running to keep a smile on my face.


Workout of the day




No comments:

Post a Comment