Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesday 9.9: Hang cleans and ring dips

Tuesday. Strength, hang power cleans 5-5-5-5-5-4 (max 95kg). Metcon, 7min amrap of: 2-2, 4-4, 6-6… hang power clean (60kg), ring dip. Result, 100 reps

What a day! The day at work was long and a bit dull. It was kind of a seminar day and that long days just sitting around without being able to activate human body is a torture. The content of the day was good, nothing about that but I just need to keep moving during the day. Human bodies are not made to stay still and be inactive. The day could have continued in a restaurant in the archipelago but my body needed to get activated and it was time to hit the gym. I was lucky to have 2 friends working out there at the same time!

Fruits for snack in the evening

Strength.
  • Hang power clean 5-5-5-5-5-4 (60, 70, 80, 85, 90, 95kg)
There was a possibility of not being able to do a workout today at all because of that program at work so I didn't have any plan when entering the gym. I just went by feeling and soon after warm-up I had a barbell in my hands and I was doing hang power cleans. I figured why not continue to take sets of this movement, 5's felt like a good idea. The weights took me by a huge surprise. Never thought I could move this kid of loads from hang position. There was a time when my max hang power clean was around 75kg and hang squat clean 90kg. This was pretty much two weeks ago. One day my pal Toni came to the gym and taught me how to take hang cleans from mid-thigh position. Before that I used to take them from high-hang position, there's a huge difference.

Take a look below, I got a set of 90kg on tape. I believe 80kg was the last set I did touch'n'go style without stopping on the front rack position. After that I took a short break after each rep to inhale and then tried to keep it inside to maintain good posture. Last set was 95kg on which I was able to take 4 reps as the 5th failed to rack. Had to drop it but the gainz were huge on this movement anyways!

Hang cleans, 90kg


Metcon. Result 100 reps (2 ring dips on the round of 14's)
  • 7min amrap, 2-2, 4-4, 6-6… of:
  • Hang power clean, 60kg
  • Ring dip
I had something like benchmark workout Elizabeth in my mind. It turned out to this one after thinking about it for a while. This included more transitions between stations as Elizabeth is 21-15-9 of cleans from ground accompanied with ring dips. Here I got more reps than the benchmark wod is rx'd during that 7min time frame. Here were double the amount of transition stages.

I performed very well on both moves. Got the cleans unbroken except from the last set at the round of 14's. There I did 9-5. Those 2 previous rounds (rounds of 10-12's) were great. Using hook grip is a big thing, especially on a workout like this. Usually this type of stuff has destroyed my forearms but now they were okay.




Ring dips have traditionally been a weakness - or at least I've considered them so - so I didn't know how those would turn out. I did them unbroken to finish the round of 8's. On 10's I got them 6-4, next round maybe 8-4 and on the last round I was able to get 2 reps before 7min came full. Even though the workout was over, I wanted to finish the workout so I did those remaining 12 reps just for the fun of it.

The training session was awesome. I had little expectations for today as I described in the beginning so it was a pleasant surprise to sneak in a workout. Was able to manhandle hang power cleans in both strength and metcon. Loads in the first part were definitely record breaking numbers. The metcon kicked ass too!




2 comments:

  1. Piti laittaa jo joskus aikasemminkin että toi hang cleani lähti tosi hyvin! Tollaselta sen pitääkin näyttää - Hyvä meininki.

    Tsemppiä kyykkyohjelmaan - toimii varmasti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jes, kiitti Juha! Sain Tonilta hyviä tipsejä tohon cleaniin. -Don

    ReplyDelete