Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thursday 4.9: Pause squats and 15min amrap

Thursday. Strength, back squats with a pause 7x3 (max 115kg). Metcon, 15min amrap of: 5 front squat (70kg), 10 pistols, 10 pull-ups, 10 box. Result, 6 rds.

Strength for lower body. Answer to this was pause squats today. I like 'em. After my legs were killed from the squats it was time to put the clock running and start giving my body a hard time, especially on lower body.



Strength.
  • Back squats with a pause
  • 3-3-3-3-3-3-3 (100, 110, 110, 110, 115, 115, 115kg)
I'll try to alternate between front squats and back squats on a regular basis. Front squats tend to work very well as a friend with clean & jerk work. Back squats are something I do prior to pure metcon work. On these days I like to do a workouts that put more stress on lower body in general like today as well.

80kg

These felt good today. I got two video clips of these sets, the first one is from warm-up sets at 80kg, the latter one is maybe the last set or the one before that, at 115kg. The sets were good for today, not max effort, I believe there was a little room to add weight but had I gone higher I wouldn't have been able to do this many sets. This was my call this time to do multiple sets at weights I knew I'm able to move.

115kg


Metcon. Result, 210 reps (6 rounds)
  • 15min amrap of:
  • 5 front squats from rack (70kg)
  • 5 pistol squats, left leg
  • 5 pistol squats, right leg
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 box jumps, 61cm
This was kind of created on the spot. I had in mind knocking some front squats and box jumps in a metcon, the rest of this were impulsively born stuff. But I'm satisfied on the workout, not the best one but I'll take it. My legs were a bit smashed of the pause squats so going ruff on legs was a little questionable when I come to think about it afterwards.

Took the front squats from rack without having to clean the barbell. There's a difference on picking the bar from floor / from rack. Obviously floor is tougher. I did this metcon with Nano's on so those pistol squats felt a bit more challenging in the beginning because there wasn't that elevation in heels like weightlifting shoes have. I've usually done pistols with those on so this was different. I got them done though.


Team Series Update Show


Pull-ups were easy, the easiest part of this workout. Box jumps felt awkward on the first round, kind of like my legs weighed a ton but then they got the rhythm on and it was just another day of training box jumps. My pace was on average at around 2:30 and it was actually quite steady pace all the way. First round was quicker, the rest were just seconds away from each other. I didn't rush between stations and there was actually some walking that had to be done during the workout because pull-up station was apart from all the other stations.

This was a nice workout and my legs were doing some serious work. At the end of the workout I wasn't that gassed though. Didn't have to put elbows to knees because the pace was moderate all the way. It was a good training day in general, got those squats in my system and metcon for 15 minutes.







No comments:

Post a Comment