Friday, February 15, 2013

Friday 15.2: Back squats, metcon

Friday. Back squats 3-3-3-3 (max 130kg). Metcon 15min amrap of front squats, burpees and double unders. Result 308 reps.

Today's focus was on squatting and metabolic conditioning. First starting off with back squat triples. Some rest in between and then a 15min amrap to get the breathing go heavy. I feel today's training was good and I achieved what I was after. I was at the Box with Hannu, a newcomer who made magic. He PR'd his back squat from 70kg to 100kg, huh, c'mon man!

Front squat

Strength. Back squats 3-3-3-3 (100, 110, 120, 130kg).

Last few times I've done sets of 5 reps so I wanted to go for triples this time and save some energy for the upcoming metcon. These sets were feeling and looking good. No problem in bringing the barbell up. Naturally the last reps were tough. Take a look at the last set.

3x130kg

Metcon. Total of 308 reps.
  • 15min amrap of
  • 5 front squats, 60kg
  • 10 burpees
  • 20 double unders
The idea of this programming was to do lots of front squats and put my heart to test. I was thinking about the weights on the front squat for a while but I decided to take the barbell from ground each time instead of rack. Because I had to clean the bar I put 60kg on it. There could have been more kilos for front squat but the clean part would have then played a bigger role and that was not the target today.

Burpees
I went pretty much unbroken throughout the metcon. Maybe three stumbles in the double unders, lack of concentration. The further the metcon went on, the more small breaks I had to take. My goal was to do one round unbroken, then sip water and continue. This workout sucked all my juice and I was totally done after the workout. My result was 7 double unders short of 9 full rounds. There were a total of 45 front squats (+9 cleans), 90 burpees and 173 double unders. I'm happy to how I was able to carry out through this one.

Burpees

No comments:

Post a Comment