Saturday, February 23, 2013

Saturday 23.2: OHS, front squat, back squat

Saturday. OHS 2-2-2-2-2 (max PR 60kg), Front squat 2-2-2-1-1 (max 125kg), Back squat 2-2-2-2-1-1 (max 140kg).

This week's training has been hard. Starting on Tuesday with 7x5 back squats, followed by heavy clean & jerks, Mary on Thursday and weighted bodyweight movements yesterday. Especially that Mary really feels in my body. Every time I do 100+ pull-ups in a workout, I feel it in my upper back the following day. Also my hands from elbows up have taken their share. This week I intentionally didn't do that many metcons because of a flu on the previous weekend, Mary was the first one this week. I wasn't sure if I would hit it heavy today or just take a light version of technical training. Once I got warmed up I got excited and started piling plates on the barbell. Results were good!

Split jerk behind the neck, 55kg

Overhead squat. 2-2-2-2-2 (40, 45, 50, PR 55kg, PR 60kg). I had an idea of doing 5x1 ohs, 5x1 FS and 5x1 BS. However, the first time I jerked the barbell to the sky, I naturally went for a double rep. From then on I was aiming for 5x2 on each of the squat movement. Overhead squats are not the most natural and suitable movement for me, there have been some mobility issues to say the least. I find it difficult to bring the bar straight overhead and then lower myself to 90 degrees. When I concentrate in pressing my heels to the ground I'm able to do them but for some reason at times I forget it and the outcome is that I can't go deep enough.

Today was a good day and I hit a PR twice! First with 55kg and right after it followed by 60kg, which was my goal of this year… How would it be possible to snatch 60+ kilos if you're not able to overhead squat it as well? I believe when I will get my technique together I'm able to do "much" heavier weights. That jerk behind the neck (BTN) was a new thing for me but it felt quite natural from the very beginning. I'd like to practice that one as well. At our gym it's not ok to drop the bar from the top so it makes it a bit difficult to train max loads with jerks / snatches. Anyway, the overhead squats today were perfect for me!

Overhead squat, 60kg, PR

Front squat. 2-2-2-1-1 (80, 90, 105, 117.5, 125kg, 130 failed). I continued to front squats right away. I took two light sets (maybe too light) with 80 and 90kg before adding the number of plates. I wanted to get my body prepared for what's coming, that's the reason I started so easily. I got that 125kg up, you'll see the video below. My current max is at 130kg and it frustrated me tremendously that I failed to got it up today. I have no words to describe the feelings after the attempt. You can find that attempt plus other lifts on my Youtube channel from today.

Front squat, 125kg


Back squat. 2-2-2-2-1-1 (100, 115, 122.5, 130, 135, 140kg). After having my legs do some serious work the last piece of the combination was to do back squats. I started with doubles up to 130kg after which I took two singles. The weights at this stage felt lighter than normally. My confidence level was good and I was sure to hit my shared PR. There were a total of 6 sets here because I wanted to nail that 140kg for the second time in my life. Once I successfully got it up, I felt nothing but joy!

Back squat, 140kg

Having completed all possible squat variations and receiving good results in all of them, including a PR, my training for today was nothing short of good and I'm proud of being able to do this well after a tough week. My upper body is burnt and probably lower body will share the feeling tomorrow =)

Toni's workout. For quality, something a bit different. Adding skiing to a metcon.

  • 1km skiing
  • 30 push-ups
  • 30 squats
  • 100 push-ups
  • 100 ohs air squats with skiing stick

Pony starting to ski


3 comments:

  1. good job Don! Maybe now it's time to update some of this years goals :-).

    I had a bit easier day today. There was no time to go to the gym so I decided to ski and do some push ups and squatting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikään videoiden kyykyistä ei ole riittävän syvä. No rep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could agree some of them weren't the best possible ones (the first ohs and last back squat). On the second ohs and front squat I'm quite proud of the squat depth.

    I'm not sure if you've read my blog earlier but I've written I have some difficulties reaching over 90 degrees angle. My hips simply won't allow me to go lower. Considering these mobility issues I still consider Saturday's squats a success =)

    I have to keep on concentrating in pressing my heels to the ground and finding better stability and form in squatting, no doubt about it. Would be nice to have someone help in this area because I haven't been squatting before I started crossfitting in the summer of 2012.

    ReplyDelete