Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thursday 7.2: Clean and jerk

Thursday. Clean & jerk 6x5 (60kg).

I had ambitious thoughts concerning today's workout. However, as I arrived at the Box with Pauliina I realized I should take it easier this time. My body was tired and not that receptive after all intense training lately. All of a sudden it's been a while since previous rest day. But I have felt very good in the last weeks!

Back extensions, Pauliina

Clean & jerk. 5-5-5-5-5-5 (60kg).

Can you believe this was the first time after 26th December I did clean & jerks? It's all because my elbows (especially left one) has been so sore from playing floorball. Probably part of it is due to crossfit and their combination but mainly I feel the pain during and after floorball. C&J is one of my favorites and would like to do this often. It seems my elbow pains are over for now so the past two weeks I've had the possibility to do cleans, presses and today, clean and jerks, c'mon!


I took 6 sets of 5 reps, constituting 30 reps. I wanted to have a little taste of Grace, which is 30 c&j with 60kg for time. Today I took a set of 5 reps, then a little over 1 min break and repeated the set. I got the feeling Grace with rx'd weights ain't gonna be easy. I've done it three times with 50kg so next step is naturally going for 60kg.

I taped my last set, see the video below. After modifying it a bit, here are some notifications.
  • Back is straight all the way
  • The bar comes up in way better form than earlier. It comes up closer to my body, not escaping too far away after my bounce.
  • Bounce could be more powerful
  • Elbows are well adjusted in the end position. However, it would be valuable to shoot the elbows straight ahead earlier.
  • My dip could be deeper to engage more power in the drive-phase. That way I could make it easier on my hands and shoulders because of strong legs. "Dip and drive!".
  • Good jerk, nice drop under the bar. Then just straighten the legs.


Clean & jerk, 5 x 60kg 


3 comments:

  1. Nice clip! Those clean and jerks are starting to look like clean and JERK (not clean and push press) :-). I had a rest day today but tomorrow I'm back in the game with heavy squats and metcon of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah thanks! Sounds good to go heavy with the squats. I guess it's gonna be around 120-130kg =)

    ReplyDelete