Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday 18.3: Front squats, EMOM hang squat cleans

Monday. Front squats (max 120kg). EMOM hang squat cleans. Double unders and toes-to-bar.

My goal today was to give my quads and upper back some action. Decision was to go with front squats and then Every Minute On the Minute type of training with hang squat cleans. Toni felt the stress from earlier days and took it light in the morning.

Hang squat cleans on the agenda

Strength. Front squats 3-3-3-2-1 (80, 100, 110, 120, 120kg). For some reason front squat today wasn't my thing. Once I took the bar in the front rack position I felt the weights pushing me down. Don't know what this was. I took triples up to 110kg but only a 2-rep set at 120kg and finally a single one with the same weight. I didn't want to push it with force as it clearly wasn't going to be a success. I changed to my main workout of the day, hang squat cleans.

EMOM. Hang squat cleans for 12min with 60kg and 70kg.
  • 12 minutes
  • 4 hang squat cleans every minute with one grip
  • For 7 first rounds with 60kg
  • For last 5 rounds with 70kg
For the first round I accidentally did power cleans but from round 2 on, I did only squat cleans. By doing them as squat versions I got respiration to bounce semi-heavy as well. For the first rounds I did it with 60kg but decided to upgrade it with 10kg for the last 5 rounds. I'm actually very proud I was able to do all those reps (all 48 of them) unbroken. Maybe I should have had that 70kg on the bar from the very beginning. Well, that would have been very difficult to do unbroken. I noticed my grip started to get a bit challenging towards the end.

It was also smart to do these movements as squat versions because successive squat clean repetitions tend to turn heavy on breathing and grip. Plus I haven't done that many squat cleans anyway. Got to get familiar and comfortable with them because the heavier it gets, the more probable it is that I must squat under the bar. Currently my clean PR is 85kg and it is a power clean. Normally athletes' PR's are squat cleans but for some unknown reason I've been doing power cleans for most of the time.

Cashout. DU's and T2B's, for quality, with minimum rest.
  • 3 rounds of
  • 45 double unders
  • 10 toes-to-bar
After some chilling I decided to do some double unders and toes-to-bar. This time not for time but for quality with minimum rest between sets. On the first round I did 45 reps before I stumbled once. I decided to keep that number in all rounds and went unbroken up to that number. Between sets I did 10 T2B's. Good quick workout to close the training.

After work we went for a half an hour walk with Pauliina. I put on the 9kg vest just to get some extra effort from the stroll =)

Toni's workouts.Benchmark wod Annie.
  • Annie. 8.32
He did it mostly unbroken with the double unders. Only two times messing up with the jump rope. He improved his time from last time with 25 seconds.

1 comment:

  1. Lesson learned today. I should have listened to my body. I was so tired yesterday and today in the morning that I should have taken a rest day. This week's challenge is finding a proper box because I'm travelling abroad.

    ReplyDelete