Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday 21.3: Overhead squat, bench, metcon

Thursday. Overhead squat 5x5 (max 50kg), KB overhead squat 4x5 each hand (16kg). Bench press various sets (max 85kg). Metcon of box, T2B & hr push-up.

I had plenty of time after work to work out before floorball training. I took my time and did quite a number of reps overhead squatting, both with a barbell and one-handed kettlebell OHS. Then few sets of bench press and a bodyweight metcon. Finishing the training with cycling. Then shower, and off to floorball training.



Strength. Overhead squats, KB OHS and bench press.

  • Overhead squat 5-5-4-3-5 (40, 40, 50, 50, 50kg)
  • Kettlebell overhead squat 4x5 each hand, 16kg
  • Bench press 6x60, 6x70, 6x80, 2x85, 10x65, 10x65kg


The goal was to do 5 sets of overhead squats. I blew the third and fourth sets by completing only 4 and 3 reps in those sets, a.k.a failed sets. I got myself together and managed to complete another full set of 5 reps. I'm not sure but I believe I did one additional set (6th) of 50kg, in which I completed 3 reps. My wrists took some hit in this movement. It's tough to hold that bar in a full lockout position with hands in snatch grip hold. I'm holding my hands in the very far ends of the bar. That's the only way to lower myself deep enough to go parallel. The first rep was always the most difficult. Once I got there the first time, it was only going down and up for a total of 5 reps.

This movement is actually awesome for my upper body and back muscles mobility as well. I feel that tension in my back while doing overhead squats. I strongly believe this will enhance my mobility and elasticity. I continued OHS my doing them one-handed with a 16kg kettlebell. I did 5 reps right-handed, then 5 reps left-handed. It's not as easy as I thought. Trying to hold that bell right up brings the challenges. It tends to lean forward the lower you squat. This was my first try on the movement and I'm definitely in the opinion that this is a good movement as well for better mobility. After overhead squats I tried my first ever turkish get-ups as well.




Last strength movement was bench press. I had no specific plans or objectives. This was created more like in the spur of the moment. I took sets of 6 reps for 60, 70 and 80kg. Then I was aiming for 3 reps at 85, Pauliina assisted the third one a bit so I don't count that. Didn't have my head with me in that last heavy set. Then I took 2 sets of 10 reps with 65kg. Pauliina suggested to have it 70kg, which would have been better because this was a bit too light. I hoped the last reps would have been extremely rough.

Metcon. Not for time, with minimum rest though.

  • 21-15-9
  • Box jumps, 61cm
  • Toes-to-bar
  • Hand-release push-ups
My metcon today was done with bodyweight movements. Boxes, toes-to-bar and push-ups by releasing hands in the bottom position. I went unbroken through box jumps and push-ups and the first round of T2Bs. For some reason I faced some problems with toes-to-bars in the round of 15's. My legs didn't come up in the way they normally come and as they did in the first round. I didn't time this workout but completed it with minimum rest anyway.



Cycling and stretching.  10 min cycling to flush my legs. Then stretching and hip openers in the end. After crossfit I drove to my team's training.

No comments:

Post a Comment