Sunday, March 24, 2013

Saturday 23.3: Clean and jerk

Saturday. Clean & jerk 5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1 (max 80kg). Clean 1-1-1 (max 85kg).

Yesterday's game was tough physically as the opponent was clearly ahead of our team so there was a lot of action at our side of the court. Sitting in a bus after the game and arriving home late means to say my body wasn't at its best today. I still managed to pull out a proper clean and jerk strength training. Pauliina came with me to train. Toni did some bodyweight workouts at home environment.



Strength. Clean & jerk 5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1 (60, 60, 70, 70, 70, 80, 80, 80kg). Plus clean 1-1-1 (80, 85, 87.5 failed).

This setup was my plan from the very beginning. I had thought about the weights and rep-sets in advance and was able to stick to the plan. Only in the first set of 80kg my jerk failed, other than that everything went as planned. I believe my clean has developed a lot this year and technique is way better than before. Still there's a lot to be done, no doubt about it but it's getting much better than before. Last week's workout boosted my confidence as I was able to hang squat clean 70kg several times in that EMOM workout.

Clean & jerk, 80kg

I believe I should keep those old school shoulder press and push press strength workouts in my calendar as I believe that press / jerk part is a bit difficult nowadays. My max is at 85kg but doing reps with 80kg have been quite challenging lately. I jerked / pressed them up today but they won't come as easy as I hoped. I have some plans to improve in this area.

After having done the c&j's I took some extra reps in clean and tried to set a new record. I've done cleans mostly as power versions but my goal is to make my body learn to squat clean with heavy weights. Last week I did it with 70kg, today I tried with 80kg. It wasn't that natural but just some more repetitions and I'll be ok with squat clean, I strongly believe. Then I'm aiming for heavier weights.

Clean, 80kg

Toni's workouts. Time about 12 min.

  • 4 rounds of
  • 30 lunges, "sandy" in his back, 25kg
  • 30 push-ups
  • double unders until his training partner finished his lunges

He did this workout outdoors, the number of double unders remain a mystery. In addition he did 4x5 handstand push-ups. Take a look at Sandy workout at HC Triplet to refresh your memory =)

No comments:

Post a Comment