Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday 10.3: Back squat, barbell metcon

Sunday. Back squat 5-5-5-5-4-3 (max 130kg), barbell metcon 21-15-9 of back squat, bench press. Time 10.28.

Today was the last day I had time to deliver my promise to respond to the challenge thrown upon me by Visa. The challenge consisted of two strength movements, converted into a metcon for time. Prior to the workout I did heavy back squat fives. My shoulder has still been aching, I've been eating painkillers like candy to push the soreness to the background. After I got it warmed up there was no problem whatsoever in the training session. Toni concentrated in two strength movements: front squats and push presses. Pauliina did some cardio and strength training.

Pumping himself up for the push press

Strength. Back squat 5-5-5-5-4-3 (100, 110, 120, 125, 130, 130kg). I don't want to live thinking were my squats deep enough or not in the future anymore. I must find the medicine for that problem. I've been consulting other athletes and trying to find a way to get my joints better mobilized for this movement and trying to find a stance that would allow me to go deep enough each and every time. When I did Elizabeth a while ago, my squat cleans were very deep. The problem is to find a stance where it's possible to go deep and not having restrictions and pain in my hip flexors. Today I believe I did a good job and found a way to lower my ass. My taking a bit narrower stance I got down well to the point where flexors push my body back up and that's over the required 90 degrees level. The feeling was awesome!

My goal today was doing sets of fives as long as I can. I took some sets with 60-80kg to get the joints prepared for what's coming. Then starting from 100kg, proceeding to 110, 120 and 125kg, 5 reps per set. For 130kg my 3RM is 3 reps, today I managed to nail 4 on the first time (see the video below), Toni assisted the fifth one which would not have come up. And on the last set I completed 3 successful reps and Toni helped the fourth one.

Back squat, 130kg

This was a good strength training day for me. And I really enjoy the quality of the training. Thus, I believe good development did occur today at the Box.

Barbell metcon. Time 10.28.

  • 21-15-9
  • Back squat, bodyweight (80kg)
  • Bench press, bodyweight -20kg (60kg)

Visa had the top time in this one, 5.46. His maxes for back squat is 180kg and 130kg for bench press so he has some lead in advance =) However, I was confident I could beat that time. Toni's time in the same workout was 20.46. The idea was that everyone should be measuring the weights according to bodyweight. I guess Visa did this with a bodyweight close to 90kg. My weights were 80kg for squat and 60kg for bench. Squat was easy, bench was a nightmare.

Bench

Below you see the round times for me. The first round was clearly faster (3.16min) than the second one even though there were about half of the total reps of the workout… The second was the toughest with 4.29min and the last one took 2.42min.


On the first round I did squats in sets of 12+9 and bench as around 3-4 sets. On the second round my squats were 9+6 with only a short break in between. However, this is where my problems took place in the bench. Guess I took something like 4+3 for starters, then it was probably doubles and singles to the end, which was very tough mentally. My chest and shoulders were in fire and it was difficult to feel them :) I had some failed reps as I tried to push it with force. Then on the third round I took squats unbroken and bench once again in small steps.

Had I been able to go as well with the bench as with the squats, I could have called this a metcon and had a good time as well. Now, my effort was consumed with bench pressing singles and doubles. It was a bit frustrating as I simply couldn't push that barbell up. Completing for example 10x60kg bench at any time is not a problem. However, the problems occurred after 20-25 reps. My squats were perfect in the workout and certainly of good quality.

Front squat, Toni

Toni's workouts. Strength for front squat and push press.

  • Front squat 5 x 5 (all sets 80kg)
  • Push press 5-5-5-1-1-1-1, (60, 65, 70, 75failed, 80, 80kg, 85 failed)

Toni's focus was front squat 5's with 80kg, each set with the same weight. Then he moved on to go for push presses. Five reps with 60, 65 and 70kg. On 75 he failed to get that single rep so he upgraded to 80kg =) He took it up, twice, in singles. In the end he tried to get 85 up, which didn't succeed today. His plan was not to do metcons today and concentrate purely in strength training.
Front squat, Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment