Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday 3.3: Back squats, hero wod Coe

Sunday. Back squat 3-3-3-3-2-2 (max 130kg). Hero wod Coe. Time 19.47.

After yesterday's active recovery and mobility day I felt full of energy as I entered the familiar Box at noon with Pauliina. I sat down on the rower and started pulling, fiercely from the very beginning as it felt so easy and fast. I managed to keep a steady pace of 1.31-1.35 for a long time, then I eased because this was supposed to be only a warm-up =) Then I took my regular bear complex type of warm-up with a barbell and pvc pipe.
Thrusters

Strength. Back squats 3-3-3-3-2-2 (120, 120, 125, 125, 130, 130kg). It felt like my joints were properly prepared for back squats and my mobility would be good and it actually was with light weights. As I started to pile some plates the weights started to feel heavier than they normally do. I had to really push the 125kg loads up. At 130 I took only a double in the first attempt and on the last set Pauliina assisted my last one, otherwise it wouldn't have come up at all. This strength session remained a mystery to me. I know I'll lift 130kg any day, now I should be able to build up strength so that I can take it up for example 5 times without having to even think about it. I took mostly triples today because the workout ahead of me was known to be a demanding one.

Back squat 120kg

Coe. Time 19.47.

  • 10 rounds of
  • 10 thrusters, 42.5kg
  • 10 ring dips

Yep, 100 thrusters and 100 ring dips for time, completed in 10 rounds of 10+10 reps. My hands, chest and shoulders feel like they did some work today. I went unbroken with the thrusters for 4 rounds, after which I took them in two sets, 6+4. The last reps of them really made my shoulders concentrate in the movement, it wasn't easy. I feel like I was able to go steady with the thrusters throughout the workout and I'm quite proud of the way the barbell moved down and up.

4th round of thrusters

I had more troubles with ring dips already at early stages of the workout. I remember going 5+5 for maybe 3-4 rounds. For a few rounds it was 5+3+2 and in the last two rounds I really had to concentrate in getting myself up to reach full extension as the movement became so heavy for me.

Ring dips

First round was about a minute, the next one was around 1.30 and the remaining were around 2.10-2.30 if I recall right. The last one was 1.58 'cause it was the last round and I wanted to push it under 20 minutes. I took a sip of water between rounds and marked my rounds up, then I moved on to the next round. Tried not to rest too long between rounds.

Time was 19.47. Mikko Salo did the same workout in 9.55… Yep, the difference is that he can go unbroken from the very beginning. I was able to go the same pace for one round, he probably went all the way. This was a good workout for me because it was a long workout and a lot of demanding reps. These workouts are exactly what I need to improve my stamina. Got to keep on doing benchmark wods and hero workouts constantly as I've done lately.


I'm done
After training session Pauliina did foam rolling. This is our new favorite, we bought a hard foam roll home and we utilize it on a daily basis. It's awesome to put effort in mobility in the evening at the same time as you're for example watching TV. In the beginning it hurts but body will get used to it so it only makes good things to your body. It's almost the same getting a massage!

Foam rolling


2 comments:

  1. Good job! That is a one nasty workout. I'm going to do that tomorrow with some modifications. My week plan looks like this:

    Monday: coe (modified)
    Tuesday: front squat and metcon (snatch)
    Wednesday: metcon (deadlift)
    Thursday: Open or Push press and metcon
    Friday: restday

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a plan! Let's see what the Open 2013 brings us

    ReplyDelete