Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thursday 7.3: CF Open 13.1

Thursday. CF Open 13.1. Result 103 reps. I'll add videos afterwards, it takes some time...

Let the Games begin!!! Today was the first day possible to perform the first workout and we hit the Box immediately in the morning with Toni and Pauliina. It was time to find those mental walls and break them because it's a competition. I PR'd my snatch with 7.5kg!

Workout 13.1. Result 103 reps.

  • 17min amrap of
  • 40 burpees
  • 30 snatches, 35kg
  • 30 burpees
  • 30 snatches, 60kg
  • 20 burpees
  • 30 snatches, 75kg
  • 10 burpees
  • max reps of 100kg
  • Burpees must be completed to rings that are placed 15cm above top extension.

When I took first glimpse of the workout at 4am when I woke up nervous, the Crossfit Games stated it's gonna be all about burpees and snatches. Jason Castro - the man behind the Games programming - pretty much combined two workouts from last year: 7min amrap of burpees and ascending weights on snatch ladder. The outcome was descending amount of burpees from 40 to 10 reps and alternating with ascending amount of weights on the snatches, from 35kg to 100kg.

I completed the set of 40 burpees, 30 snatches of 35kg, 30 burpees and 3 snatches of 60kg. My previous snatch record was 52.5kg so I broke the record with 7.5kg, and for three times!!! Total of 103 reps, consisting of 70 burpees and 33 snatches. I must admit I was a bit scared during night when I looked that 60kg should be lifted several times. A bit of desperation which I had to shake away and do some mental job. Once I started the workout I focused only on doing the next rep ahead of me.

I liked the burpees for some reason. They are normally that fun to do but today I enjoyed them, weird… 35kg snatches are not tough, still I took them in sets of 5 reps. My strategy was different compared to a regular workout because of the physical limitations of the workout. It was absurd that I would hit the round of 75kg snatches =) So I knew there's no need to hurry as fast as possible. So I completed the burpees and 35kg snatches with a steady pace but still catching my breath during the workout. Time elapsed after completing the first round of burpees (40 reps) was 2.10, time after first set of snatches (35kg) 6.10 and time after last set of burpees (30 reps) was 9.18.

The videos are too large to be put on Youtube. Here is a link to Vimeo.

I had plenty of time to focus on taking a new personal record. I caught my breath for a minute, then took a rep that failed. It came high enough to get a boost of confidence. I tried another rep and it came up, c'mon! One of the most spectacular feelings in my crossfit career! It looked horrible but it came up =) I took another attempt, failed. Then another successful rep, 102 reps in total. On the last minute I got another one, my third snatch of 60kg, unbelievable results for me! A total of 103 reps in the workout. It would have been awesome to get a chance to pound let's say a barbell of 50kg snatches. I would have liked to do tens of them. Now we'll have to wait for the next Open's workout (13.2) until next Wednesday-Thursday night.

Toni's result in CF Open 13.1.
100 reps. He completed the set of 40 burpees, 30 snatches (35kg) and 30 burpees. Tried the 60kg snatch a few times, this time it didn't come up.

Click here to see Toni's video of his performance at Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. My goal was to hit 100 reps and try that 60 kg but I was sure that it wont come up. But this game is all about mentality and Don fought bravely today and was able PR his snatch after 70 burbees and 30 snatches. I think we saw a miracle at the box. Nice work man.

    Today I'm going after a metcon with squats and bench presses. Weights are near my max so I will be tired today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Toni, I also really believe I exceeded my limitations yesterday =) That was unbelievable. I added the link to Toni's video as well just now. Check them in Vimeo

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, those snatches looked ugly as hell :) Still, it doesn't matter, they came up! C'mon

    ReplyDelete