Saturday, March 9, 2013

Saturday 9.3: CF Open 13.1

Saturday. Crossfit Open 13.1. Result 106 reps.

As I woke up I saw a message sent to me by The Crossfit Games: Your video submission is invalid. There was also a brief explanation why it's not valid. Basically the video was shoot from behind, stopwatch was not in the frame throughout the workout.

Had no other chance but to pack up my gear, get my head in the game and drive to the Box to perform the workout again and try to hit the PR again =) Toni and Pauliina joined as judges and this time we made it sure the video would be accepted! We shot the video (Pauliina) from the side with a running clock visible at all times and the judge (Toni) seen on the video all the time.

Me and my homie


Workout 13.1. Result 106 reps.
  • 17min amrap of
  • 40 burpees
  • 30 snatches, 35kg
  • 30 burpees
  • 30 snatches, 60kg
  • 20 burpees
  • 30 snatches, 75kg
  • 10 burpees
  • max reps of 100kg
  • Burpees must be completed to rings that are placed 15cm above top extension.
My previous record in the snatches has been 52.5kg prior to the Open. On Thursday I did this workout for the first time and hoped it would have been my last one. Then I snatched 60kg x 3, awesome result considering my snatch history and current max load. Yesterday we had a tough floorball game and my right shoulder got very sore in that game. Today in the morning as I saw the message, my first reaction was not smiling and joyful of having to perform the workout again. But hey, the reaction from the Crossfit Games was legitimate, so I didn't have any other possibility but to do the workout again and go over those mental barriers once more and snatch that damned barbell overhead several times.

Just in case Toni did the workout again as well even though he had not got that similar message. He played it smart today, took it a bit slower on the burpees and saved energy for the real barrier, 60kg snatches. Once he got that far, he took 3 failed reps for starters with only one minute to go on the clock. Then he got his head straight and snatched that barbell up! He also suffered a mini blackout at the same time but still had time to complete another snatch in the last 10 seconds to go in the workout!!! Result was 102 reps in CF Open 13.1, c'mon! He improved his snatch PR with 10kg for a total of 102 reps.




I really tried to suck that energy in to my own workout as well, this guy performed so well today. And even though the day didn't start in the best possible way in the morning, my result today was even better than the first time, 6 x60kg snatches for a total of 106 reps in the workout! Couldn't be any happier about the result =) Hopefully that right shoulder will be back in action some day soon, it really hurts now.

I was able to complete the first set of burpees 10 seconds slower than the first time but I made up the missing time in the first set of snatches (35kg) and finished at 5.54 (6.10 on the first time). This time is crucial if two athletes are sharing exactly the same result. Then the one who has completed the last full set of snatches in less time, is higher in the standings.

Once I was done with the 30 burpees, there was about 8.30 left on the clock, in the middle of the workout. So my goal was to go for about 1 rep every minute. I really wanted to improve from the previous result because I had done so much mental work to repeat this one. I manage to do 5 successful reps in a row, about 1 per minute. Then the sixth failed but I still had time to snatch it when there was something like 3 seconds left on the clock =) Unbelievable accomplishments from both of us today. Thanks Toni and Pauliina for this one!



Once again we can probably all share the feeling that these snatches were not beautiful, not from educational books so to say, but today it was competition time and then I believe it's not about style, it's about going beyond those physical and mental walls and hit PR's whenever it's possible. Toni did great today and I also did much better than I thought I could do. We both hit out snatch goals for this year and are proud of it. Now we'll have to make them beautiful as well =)

Double front squat =)


6 comments:

  1. Can't really describe the feeling I have right now. After we did this at thursday I felt I have done what I expected from myself but not more. Today when we did the workout again and I was able to hit 2 reps with 60 kg in the last minute of the workout I was full of joy :). I almost fainted but still body was pumped with adrenaline about smashing my old PR in snatch. I think that 60 kg was a mental issue for me. I was a bit afraid to get that on top my head but today I decided to not to fear - just lift. Thanks Pauliina and Don for the support!

    I'm really waiting for workout 13.2 and if there is a DU involved you can count me to top 100 because my DU's are rolling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that the weight in second set of snatches should have been at least 61,2kg. So 60kg is not rx'd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that has been a question that has been pondering in athletes' minds throughout the first competition week and which Crossfit HQ has not thorougly answered. People have been posting comments on the Games site (games.crossfit.com) and have not got a simple answer to the question at hand.

    One example is Crossfit Reykjavik's internet site - home to world's fittest woman Annie Thorisdottir - that says the 13.1 workout is as follows:

    OPEN 13.1

    AMRAP á 17 mínútum
    40 Burpees
    30 Snatch 35/20 (20/15) kg
    30 Burpees
    30 Snatch 60/35 (35/25) kg
    20 Burpees
    30 Snatch 75/45 (45/35) kg
    10 Burpees
    Max Reps Snatch 95/55 (55/40) kg

    http://www.crossfitreykjavik.is/

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how they decide, I'm still happy of PR'ing my snatch 7.5kg multiple times =) And Toni also got it up, 10kg improvement. Okay, they all looked ugly as hell but they came up =)

    From the workout 13.2 forward I'd like to see the weights clearly stated in both pounds and kilos without having to question them. 135lbs has traditionally been considered the same as 60kg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked this from support@crossfitgames.com and here's the answer:

    " If you are using Kilos, you must match or exceed the equivalent weight in pounds. Below is an example of Kilos conversion for the Open workouts. We rounded pounds to the nearest kilo to keep the plate stacks as simple, straightforward, and fair as possible.

    Lbs to kilos for Men:

    75 Pounds = 35 Kilos
    135 Pounds = 62 Kilos
    165 Pounds = 75 Kilos
    210 Pounds = 95 Kilos"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks dude for getting an answer to this one!!

    Now I'll just have to wait and see what happens, what's their decision going to be with all those guys that have done those snatches with 60kg. Guess there are plenty of them. Would be nice to know what the decision on the weights has been at all European (and worldwide) Boxes. Referring to that Icelandic Box in Reykjavik.

    ReplyDelete