Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday 27.9: Muscle-ups, handstand, sprints, metcon

Friday. Skills, muscle-up 11x1, handstand. Sprints 8x100m. Metcon, for completion: 5 rounds of: 10 t2b, 10 ring row.

Friday night. Pauliina was outdoors with her friend so I had some quality time with crossfit =) Decided to work on my weaknesses. Went to Pirkkola, "HC Triplet" venue to do bar muscle-ups and handstand.  I also ran 100m sprints, which has been a rarity. Then I hopped on my car and drove to home gym for a metcon and mobility.



Skills.

  • Muscle-ups, 11x1
  • Handstand


It's been a while since I did my last muscle-ups. I've practiced on ring muscle-ups but haven't been able to perform a successful rep. Will have to concentrate more on those. However, today was reserved for bar mu's. There's still that awkward twist as I land on the pull-up bar with right side first. That's because my right leg does the "kick" and left leg kinda lags back.

Waiting for muscle-ups to be done


I'm still able to nail every rep I attempt but those definitely consume more energy compared to a situation where I would be pulling higher with both legs doing work equally. So getting reps done is very positive but there's technical work to be fixed in order to make them more effortless. And once I get rid of that biased right side, it will probably ease the ring muscle-ups as well because there you have to keep the package tight and not twist the body to any direction.

Took 20 dips at the top of the pull-up at then end of the last muscle-up. My shoulders were destroyed after this training part so I was able to do only a couple of sets handstand skills. It felt good though in the beginning. Towards the end I felt like there's no strength left in my shoulders so I decided to move on to running.

Friday evening at the gym, surprise there's no one

Sprints.

  • 8 x 100m sprints

When was the last time I did running? Honestly, I don't know. There's been running as part of a metcon. I have intentionally done running metcons when I've been here in Pirkkola or lifting weights in Eltsu because there's also a running track in the weight lifting place. But I haven't been concentrating in running 100 / 400 meter sprints.

Recap


So today I did 8 sets of 100 meter sprints. Recovery was the walk back after which I immediately went for the next run. The latter half of the sprints was agonizing. I gave my all in the running part. In the beginning my shins were hurting a bit but it went away after the first run. Maybe that was only because of lack of running.

On the first 2 runs I felt my pace was around 80-90% of max but from then on my joints were loose enough and it felt good in my body, legs and upper body. Did 8 sets and felt awesome after having done them because it's been such a long time since last running training.

Kiddos playing football during the sprints


Metcon. For completion

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 toes-to-bar
  • 10 ring rows

Drove to the gym in order to do bench press for strength. Once I arrived at the Box, I realized the bench was missing the actual bench?!? Not the most comfortable platform to lay on. So I had to modify. Was thinking about floor presses and even tried some dumbbell bench presses. After doing some foam rolling, playing with the barbell I noticed I wanted to concentrate today on bodyweight movements. Let's save the barbells for tomorrow.

Whaaat?


A movement that always needs improvement is toes-to-bar (or knees-to-elbows, doesn't matter). It's awesome movement for a number of reasons. It strengthens the core, shoulders, grip strength, metabolic conditioning, actually the entire body gets it's share. And ring rows are simply nasty. My muscles tend to go tired after just a short number of reps so no harm in doing those once in a while.


Toes-to-bar
Toni was taking a day off today. His talking about doing one of the benchmark girls tomorrow. If he's able to make it to local crossfit affiliate, I'm looking forward to see how he's doing. For finnish speaking guys: if you're in Facebook, look up Crossfit Vantaa and you'll find an interview of Tony the Pony. He's the "crossfitter of the week" =)


Ring row


Jason Khalipa




No comments:

Post a Comment