Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday 23.9: Push press, hspu, pull-ups

Monday. Push press, emom, 3 reps, for 12min @70-75kg. Metcon, for 20min: odd minutes, 5 hspu, even minutes, 10 pull-ups.

Let's make upper body do some work. Push press emom is always a cool way to start the session and then more shoulder strength through handstand push-ups (that are finally getting to feel comfortable) and pull-ups. Quite a number of both of them. Mobility in the beginning and in the end.

Strength.

  • 3 reps every minute on the minute for 12 minutes:
  • Push press, 4 sets @ 70kg, 4 sets @ 72.5kg, 4 sets @ 75kg

This is something I like a lot. Excellent way to increase shoulder strength and muscle endurance simultaneously. There's not much time to recover in emom-style workouts so you have to recover fast to be ready for the next set. I did this for 12 minutes and increased the weights with 2.5kg after every 4th set. Originally I had planned to do this entirely @ 70kg, for those 12 minutes. But I felt I would have it what it takes to add weights.

Previously I've done similar sets for 10-12min @ 70kg so it was about to try going a little heavier. It felt good for a long time. I was able to keep the bar moving constantly throughout the 3 reps for probably 10 minutes. Then on the last 2 rounds / minutes I had to stop the movement after a couple of reps at my chest. It's important to keep the barbell moving, it's more systematic and consistent, thus less consuming as well. I've noticed the same thing with clean & jerks. When you keep the bar moving all the time and utilize the bounce at the chest, it's way smoother and easier.



What do ya say about Jason Khalipa's 20 x 150kg back squats...




Metcon.
  • For 20min:
  • Odd minutes, 5 handstand push-ups
  • Even minutes, 10 pull-ups

Total of 50 hspu's and 100 pull-ups. That number of hspu's is great for me. There's been over 200 reps this month, clearly a record breaking month in some of the bodyweight movements. There's also been a couple hundred pull-ups. It feels like my handstand push-ups are so much better nowadays. I got practically unbroken with the sets. I guess there were 2 times I got unbalanced and dropped from the floor accidentally. The reps were definitely tough in the last 3 rounds but I got them.

Pull-ups, easy. Not many reps per set, only 10, so even though there were 100 of them, it was such a small amount at a time that I didn't have to struggle at all. Now as I think of it afterwards, I should have used different grips to practice on different style of pull-ups, palms facing in or out, strict and kipping. It was difficult to know this in advance. I thought they would have also turned out to be somehow consuming.





Toni's workouts. Deload week at Crossfit Vantaa, light work

  • Max reps push-ups. Result 50 reps
  • 2 x 2min amrap of air squats. Result 85 + 76
  • Max time dead hang from pull-up bar. Time 40 seconds




No comments:

Post a Comment