Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tuesday 24.9: OHS, clean and jerk, t2b

Tuesday. Overhead squats 5x5 (50kg). Metcon, 15-12-9-6-3, clean & jerk (60kg), toes-to-bar. Time 10.14.

Today was tough. The metcon took my breath away, literally. Did 5 sets of overhead squats for strength work and then continued with clean & jerks and t2b's. The number of c&j's made the work painful. Still, I felt like a winner after the workout and am very happy for completing the training session. Toni did a 100 burpee test and improved remarkably since last time.


Love these things


Strength. Overhead squats 5-5-5-5-5 (50, 50, 50, 50, 50kg). Stayed with the same weights all 5 sets, 50kg on the barbell. This movement is not of my strengths. Having to keep a ridiculously wide grip on the barbell makes it more difficult to stay solid. My upper back mobility forces me to keep my hands at the very ends of the barbell.

I was able to handle this weight nicely. My one rep max is 70kg and usually haven't done 3-5 rep sets with over 50kg. It seems like a good weight for me to work on. Especially as I tend to practice this rarely. Anyway, I believe this movement is something I'll put some focus once I get my lifting shoes. Another movement is squat snatch.

Today it was easy to reach full depth on the overhead squat. I was able to push knees properly out and thus find a way to sit in the "hole". And the core was well balanced, not wiggling at any point. Felt good.





Metcon. Time 10.14
  • 15-12-9-6-3
  • Clean & jerk, 60kg
  • Toes-to-bar

Uuh, this was nasty. There were 45 reps of both movements. That's a lot of clean & jerks for me against time. That means there's no rest period at all. I've been wondering how far I could go with 60kg clean & jerks if I was to go for one set only. This is something I keep on wondering from time to time for the sake of benchmark workout Grace. Every time I've done around 5-6 rep sets for as long as possible. At some point it has broken to smaller pieces.

Some day in the future I hope to push through Grace totally or at least almost unbroken. Few weeks ago I did 3 sets of 10 reps. Hard to say what's more beneficial: to do sets that you know you can complete and this way follow the strategy. Or go all in in the beginning, get more reps in the first attempt but then draw back on the next sets because you're so fatigued from the first push.

Bearing the number 45 in mind, I decided to cut the first set in 2 sets. Starting with 10 reps, then break, and another 5 reps. T2b's were the rest period here. Okay, they burnt my shoulders because they were so crushed from the c&j's. But still it didn't consume me in practically any way. I was only trying to save my shoulders so they would be prepared for the next set of clean & jerks.

I guess I did 4+4+4 on the second round with some rest between the lifts. On the third round it must have been 5 reps at first and then I recall it was 2+2 with just a short break. Last two rounds (rounds of 6's and 3's) were unbroken since there were so few reps left that I got my head around it and finished with glory. I even ran the last 10 meters to the pull-up bar to complete the last 3 reps of the t2b's.

Heavy breathing all the way. I was able to maintain the barbell moving well all the time. I didn't have to stop the bar at my chest level but was able to bounce and jerk it straight up after the clean. That was the key to good c&j's.


There's some speed!



Toni's workouts.
  • 100 burpees for time. Time 6.58.
  • Max time sitting against wall. Time 0:39

We did a 7min amrap of burpees back in October last year. Then, Toni was able to complete 84 reps in the time domain. Today his metcon was 100 burpees for time. Happened to be 2 seconds shy of 7 minutes. Well done, 16 reps improvement. Take a look at his burpees from about a year ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment