Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday 1.9: Kalsu with cleans

Sunday. Half Kalsu with cleans for time. Time 7.00. Then, 10 rounds of: 5 burpees, 5 power cleans, not for time.

This was destined to be a challenging day. Knew it from the workout that was ahead of me: Kalsu. I've heard people saying it's the worst workout they've ever done and after today's training I understand why! The workout was way stronger than I was. Pauliina and Toni were both joining me, Pauliina for leg work and Toni was working on his shoulders strength, he went after the main site's wod.



Half Kalsu. Time 7.00
  • 50 power cleans for time, 60kg
  • On top of every minute, perform 5 burpees

Got to say I was not ready for the 100 reps for time. The workout's nature is that you complete 5 burpees on top of each minute, then you have the rest of the minute to do as many reps as possible. Originally this one is done with 60kg thrusters but I had planned to do power cleans instead. Today I did 50 reps for time. I wasn't in the 100 rep shape.

In the first round I did 10 cleans, same on the second one. From then on it was between 5 and 7 reps. It's difficult to describe the feelings during the workout. The first 2 rounds were okay but it hit me probably on the 3rd one. Burpees made me breath heavier and cleans nailed me. And there isn't much to rest as the clock is running and the burpees are waiting if you wait too long.

Pauliina doing leg work

I was wondering did I go too fast in the beginning but on the other hand, I don't think so because I had plenty of time to mark my reps on the paper and wait a few seconds before entering the next minute and next set of burpees. On the 3rd round the barbell began to feel nasty. From 4th to 7th minute it was pure grinding through and hoping to reach 50 reps of cleans.

I believe I still fought well up to 50 reps. Even though it felt awful, I was able to keep on moving. It felt impossible to continue after that.



Half Kalsu. Not for time
  • 10 rounds of:
  • 5 burpees
  • 5 power cleans, 60kg
At 50 reps I was done, simply couldn't go further anymore. I felt so awful inside and had to pause for a while. My intention in the morning was to go as far as 100 reps, all the way. Those burpees made the cleans so much harder. The thought of grabbing the barbell was repulsive. So I took a couple of minutes break after the first set of 50 reps.




But after getting a grip of life again, I was regretting my decision to chill out. Even though I was still feeling it in my guts, I decided to go further, completing 10 rounds of 5 burpees and 5 power cleans. I went slower than the first 50 reps but I managed to finish the workout with some dignity. Totaling 100 power cleans @ 60kg and 85 burpees.





Toni's workouts. Main site workout.
  • Shoulder press 1-1-1-1-1 (50, 60, 60, 60, PR 62.5kg)
  • Push press 3-3-3-3-3 (60, 70, 75, 80x1, 80kg f)
  • Push jerk / split jerk 5-5-5-5-5 (60, 60, 60, 65, 70kg)
It's been a while since Toni have done pure shoulder strength. Today he completed the main site's workout of the day. And happened to break an old record in shoulder press, mark the new digits at 62.5kg!

Split jerk, 5x65kg, Toni



No comments:

Post a Comment