Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday 8.9: Deadlifts and hspu's

Sunday. Skills, double unders 7x30 reps and deficit hspu's. Metcon, 5 rounds for completion: max effort deadlifts (140kg), max effort hspu's.

Deadlifts and handstand push-ups were written in the stars for me. I wanted to hit it hard and get some volume with both of them. I've been putting more effort in deadlifts and posterior chain in general lately. Also hspu's are gonna get my full attention in the fall. Took double unders and deficit hspu's for skills training.




Skills. Du's and deficit hspu's

  • Double unders 7 x 30 reps
  • Deficit handstand push-ups

Wanted to put some effort on double unders as well. Can't take them for granted any time. My focus today was to keep my torso upright all the time and concentrate in keeping my legs as straight as possible. There's some more work to be done but in general I'm very satisfied to my double under skills.

A new movement was welcomed with pleasure: deficit hspu's. That means you put for example bumper plates under your arms so that when you land to the ground, your head goes below the level where you hold your hands. Thus, having to use extra power and stronger kip to get back up from the "hole". This was the first time I tried it so I stayed moderate and used only one plate under each arm. I found it surprisingly easy to kip up from there. I want to try with bigger deficit in the near future.




Metcon. ME deads and hspu's.

  • 5 rounds of:
  • Max effort deadlift @ 140kg
  • Max effort handstand push-ups

I programmed this workout in the same way as benchmark workout Lynne is carried out. Figured these two movements would suit perfectly together and they are both movements I need to put more focus anyway. I performed well today compared to my strength and skill level. Got a good bunch of reps for both movements.

Results. Total of 54 deadlifts and 49 hspu's.

  • 1st round, 15 + 12
  • 2nd round 12 + 11
  • 3rd round 7 + 9
  • 4th round 10 + 9
  • 5th round 10 + 8


On the first round I nailed 15 deadlifts. Earlier in the summer I was looking for my 12 rep max in deadlifts and that time I was able to get 140kg successfully. So today I was looking to improve on that figure and got it! The first set of handstand puhs-ups was as spectacular. Got a new PR, 12 reps! On the second round it was 12 reps on the deads and 11 hspu's which was also over my previous record (10 reps).



For the third round I put gloves on my hands 'cause I thought it would give me better grip on the barbell. How wrong was I? At 7 reps the bar slipped from my hands and I decided to ignore the gloves on the remaining 2 rounds. That turned out to be a good choice as my grip was way stronger there, also seen in the results, 10 reps both rounds.

It feels awesome to look at the reps on the hspu's. Starting from 12 reps and coming down to 8 reps is solid work. I was able to use that kip to my advantage quite well. In the beginning of the training session the first warm-up hspu's were very difficult but after doing some more training and also deficit hspu's, it started to feel much easier. My previous record was 10 reps and today each of my sets were close to that and twice I went over it, spectacular =)




1 comment: