Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thursday 20.9: Front squats and metcon

Thursday. Front squats 5x5 (100-110kg). Metcon, 10min amrap of: 10 ring dips, 10 db snatches (25kg), 10 box jumps. Result 5 rounds + 4 box.

Yesterday was bodyweight so today I added squats for increasing strength on my legs. Taking sets of 5's on front squat, then a metcon to get juice flowing in my body. The combination of the 3 movements turned out to be rather tough actually. Toni still taking it easy after having slight flu.

Front squat


Strength. Front squat 5x5 (100, 110, 100, 100, 110kg). It's been a while since doing front squats. Enjoyed squatting, no doubt about it. Have to, have to increase the amount of squats. Both front and front squat, plus overhead squats. I'm looking forward to getting my new oly lifting shoes, ordered them about a month ago so it's about time for them to arrive. Expecting great things to happen with stabilization.

I took sets of 5 reps, 5 sets. I was thinking about doing them all with 100kg but then again, after the first set I thought about increasing 10kg. The fourth rep @ 110kg was tough so I racked the bar. The rest of the sets I went with 100kg. I got perfect depth and it felt natural to do front squats. Maybe I should one day do heavier sets as well.




Metcon. Result 5 rounds + 4 box jumps
  • 10 min amrap of:
  • 10 ring dips
  • 5/5 dumbbell snatch, 25kg
  • 10 box jumps, 61cm
All these movements are of the kind that they make your heart do a lot of work. I had no problems in completing the reps, it was more the furious breathing that slowed me down. Went unbroken with the ring dips for 4 rounds. Then on the 5th one I did 6+4 and on the 6th round in 3 sets.

That 25k dumbbell went up nicely on the snatches. I got to try heavier dumbbells next time 'cause I've been doing these db snatches with this weight for some time and it seems to move well. Probably some development has been done on the snatches, both dumbbell and barbell versions.

Box jumps are always nasty. There was only 10 each round so I was able to keep moving without stopping to rest on top of the box. It's a different thing when you're doing 20 reps in a row. This workout resulted in 60 ring dips, 60 snatches and 54 box jumps.




No comments:

Post a Comment