Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday 17.9: Handstand, clean and jerk, du

Tuesday. Skills, handstand. Technique, hang squat snatch. Strength, 21 x clean & jerk (80-85kg). Metcon, for quality, 4 rounds of 5 power cleans (65kg), 50 double unders.

It was time to go this training place called Eltsu for the purpose of olympic lifts. Love the place for handstand walk possibilities as they have a track there, the platform is perfect. Plus it's possible to drop barbells to the floor so it's more safe to go for high weights. Today I did clean & jerks and then a metcon, without racing against the clock, took my rest periods there. I'll add a recap video once it finishes.



Skills and technique. Handstand skills and hang squat snatch. I guess I've practiced my handstand skills every time I've been to this place. It's difficult to skip because the circumstances couldn't be better, just have to go for it. Did a few sets, not too long to fatigue my shoulders. Just needed to get the feeling and get prepared for heavy jerks.

Strength.
  • 21 reps of clean & jerk
  • 11 reps @ 80kg, 10 reps @ 85kg

This was heavy weight c&j for me. One rep max is around 95kg and considering I had 20 reps ahead of me, I started at 80kg, did 11 reps and added 5kg to the barbell. Did 10 more with the 85kg bar. Squat clean and then split jerk to finish the rep. Used split jerk all the way from the beginning. I felt good about the weight. Had no problems in cleaning the bar, it felt light.

I took off with 80kg and split jerked it to full extension for 11 reps. It started to feel better after a couple of reps so the first ones felt heavier than from maybe 4-5 reps on. So I decided to increase weight in the middle of the strength session. I was positively surprised I was able to complete 10 reps more with rather heavy bar. Suppose my split jerk technique has also gotten better. Definitely a lot of work to be done and more explosiveness will be needed but still it's so much better than in the beginning.


Recap, 17.9.2013


Metcon. Not for time, for quality.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 5 power clean, 65kg
  • 50 double unders

I took my time chilling between the movements, wasn't going to rush and go all in on this one. Just wanted to get some good power cleans and training double unders when breathing heavier. Nothing serious. Those clean & jerks sucked the juice out of me.

Toni's workouts. For quality.
  • 7 rounds of:
  • 5 deadlift, 100kg
  • 5 ring dips


1 comment: