Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday 28.10: Eccentric squats, row intervals

Monday. Eccentric squats 3 x 8 (100-110kg). Row intervals for 4.030m.

Another day to strengthen my lower body. Now I've had a good chance to work on my legs, in the last month or so. And the results can be seen. The weights I've been able to move lately have made me smile at the gym. Today it was time for eccentric squats, thanks for olympic lifter Kendrick J. Farris for the tip.





Strength. Eccentric squats 3x8 (100, 105, 110kg). Third time doing eccentric squats and I really feel for this type of strength work. It's taxing on lower body but the gains are obvious. I feel my legs are already stronger =) I've done a lot of squatting this month as I promised to myself and wrote it down here earlier. I've stuck to the plan to keep on strengthening my legs because I genuinely believe legs are the motor for pretty much all strength movements.



The first time I did eccentric squats, the weights were @ 80-100kg on 4 sets. Second time the barbell was loaded with 100kg for all 4 sets. For today my decision was to add some weight and complete 3 full sets. The 100kg went nicely from memory. On the next set more work and more breathing was needed to get the reps done. My legs were burning on the last reps. For the last set I upped the weights to 110kg. That was heavy for this type of squatting. Did mental huffing and puffing, grabbed the bar on my back and started going down and up. Slowly down, then up as quickly as possible. Got that 110kg done nicely, awesome!!!

Take a look at mister Farris completing regular back squats 10 x 240kg… 




Rowing. Distance 4.030 meters.
  • The following sequence for 25minutes:
  • 60sec row, 60sec rest
  • 45sec row, 45sec rest
  • 30sec row, 30sec rest
  • 15sec row, 15sec rest

Don't know where I saw this interval style but it worked. For a total of 25 minutes, different length of intervals followed by each other. Starting with 1min, then 1min rest. Decreasing the work / rest with 15sec each set. After the last set - set of 15sec work/rest - start all over again. So there was a total of 5 rounds of this sequence.

Obviously the 60 and 45 second sprints were the toughest ones. I went all in from the very beginning. Didn't want to save anything in my tank, just go full throttle from point zero. At start my pace was around 1.35/500m, in the end it was more like 1.45/500m. I tried to keep it around 1.40 at max. The shorter ones were faster, the 60-45sec intervals were tougher to maintain the quick pace.

Good interval work. Total of 4k rowed is something. That's clearly more than a metcon would produce. Well, in interval training there should be longer distance anyway. I like to try out various pacing styles with rowing. Simply sitting there and rowing for distance (2-5k) seems to be a bit boring so I like to pace it in interval style. And it's much more fun to go all in all the way =)


Enjoy the recap of the 2013 Games!





No comments:

Post a Comment